Bottleneck at switch?

Nathan L

Reputable
Mar 13, 2015
I think my problem is my network switch but just wanted a second opinion before I recommend to purchase another. Getting 75mbps from the modem , 30 from the router (wired and wireless) and 30 from the cable before it enters the old netgear en308 switch. Everything out of the switch is about 5mbps. What's the problem you think? Thanks..

Nathan L

Reputable
Mar 13, 2015
Not sure it would affect it, but would the fact that I have a 8 port hub attached on the other end of the router affect the router's Ethernet and wireless throughput giving me only 30 of the 75 that's being fed to it?

Nathan L

Reputable
Mar 13, 2015
Linksys support just answered my question: "the Linksys WRT54G was not designed for speeds more than 30Mbps. Thus you're getting the max speeds on the router which would be 30Mbps."

Kewlx25

Distinguished
WTF? an 8 port 10Mb hub?! The maximum full speed of that device is 10Mb TOTAL. And that's if only one device is transmitting. If you have more than one device communicating, which happens all the time, the max speed is going to drop.

A $30 8 port switch is literally 1,600x faster!

Nathan L

Reputable
Mar 13, 2015

Are all modern switches about the same in quality and function? I've never bought a switch before (obviously). Is there anything in particular I need to look for to carry the 75Mbps data rate i'm getting through the modem? Would i need a gigabit router to carry the data as well?