[SOLVED] Bottleneck Calculator: how to deal with this result?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 1, 2020
I have:
Intel Core i7-8750H CPU
NVIDIA GTX1060 6GB GPU
8GB RAM DDR4 RAM
1TB HDD
Acer Nitro 5 Laptop. At the first I play Battlefield V in this, it has very smooth gameplay and has more than 60-80 fps with geforce experience preferences (medium-high settings). After a week not playing that game, it was stuttering than stuck at around 40-50 fps. When I checked at Bottleneck Calculator, it said "Your GPU was too weak for the CPU" with around 15% bottleneck.

Is it true? Sometimes a calculator can go wrong, right? I try to fix it with ThrottleStop and MSI Afterburner but the result isn't my expectation (I think the thermal throttle also occurs, bottlenecking as well). Now I'm resetting my laptop and download the game again. Also set all my laptop settings like battery, cleaning all caches, best performance windows 10 settings, ... The game is very laggy when I record it for youtube (my aggressive game in BFV will spoil your sight). Hehe...

Or try to add some RAM? Please help. It's very annoying and disrupts my stats at BFV.
Thanks!

Solution
I'd recommend playing Battlefield V for a while (stutters and all) and then check to see what your RAM usage is. If you're running near 100% RAM usage, then yes. Adding RAM would be a good suggestion. If you're stuttering and RAM is only around 50% usage, adding more isn't likely to resolve the issue.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
I'd recommend playing Battlefield V for a while (stutters and all) and then check to see what your RAM usage is. If you're running near 100% RAM usage, then yes. Adding RAM would be a good suggestion. If you're stuttering and RAM is only around 50% usage, adding more isn't likely to resolve the issue.

-Wolf sends

Reactions: King_V
Solution
What is different from when all was well a week ago?
Perhaps windows pushed out a less than optimal update or driver.
I might download and update graphics driver directly from nvidia.

Or, try using system restore to reset the pc back to when all was well.

JayGau

Honorable
Dec 20, 2016
Did you update the graphic card driver? I had a similar problem when I installed the latest nvidia driver last week: I got a huge FPS drop but I realized that it was because I didn't stop my GPU tool software (Precision X1) when I installed the driver (it usually doesn't do anything bad but for some reason it screwed up everything with this particular driver update).

There is also the new Windows update that is out now but I didn't hear about any frame rate problem related to that so far.

Also if the game was running just fine a week ago with the same amount of ram I don't see how it can be related to that but you can always monitor the ram usage with CAM overlay or HWiNFO64. I think geofelt suggestion is good and you should check if you can find a restoration point from before the problem happened and restore the system at that point. If your frame rate gets back to normal then something that got updated or installed later is the cause of the issue (and will come back if you reinstall it).

For the bottleneck calculator this thing doesn't tell anything useful especially if you are close to the 15%: it fixes an absolute value as the bottleneck limit and will say you are bad if you are 0.1 above it and just fine if your are 0.1 below it.

USAFRet

Titan
For the bottleneck calculator this thing doesn't tell anything useful especially if you are close to the 15%: it fixes an absolute value as the bottleneck limit and will say you are bad if you are 0.1 above it and just fine if your are 0.1 below it.
I think the determining factor on what number it outputs relies on if the Day Of The Week has an E in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.