[SOLVED] Bottleneck Calculator

Status
Not open for further replies.

abdullahmrcool

Reputable
Aug 16, 2017
I was just wondering how accurate bottleneck calculator is. I am planning to buy a intel core i5-9600KF and a ASUS GeForce RTX 2070 Dual Fan EVO V2 OC 8GB. There was no option for the specifc graphics card (there was only, RTX 2070, RTX 2070 Super etc). I put it in and it said that there was no problem and that they will work really well together. The gpu i'm getting is slightly overclocked so I put a RTX 2070 super and it's saying that my processor is to weak. So my question was should I go for the i7-9700k? Or is this some error. I will mostly be doing gaming on this PC. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The 2070 is a very nice GPU....

The 9600KF, in gaming benchmarks I've seen it in, seems capable of acceptable minimum FPS levels despite having only 6 threads, but, if not opting for the Z390/9700KF, I'd personally go the Ryzen 5-3600/B450 route; it should equal/slightly exceed the 9600K in minimum FPS, and, with 12 threads, should never make the OS feel a case of 'thread- starved' hitches/stutters any time soon...

The 9700K/KF is not cheap, but, it is a gaming beast.

abdullahmrcool

Reputable
Aug 16, 2017
The 2070 is a very nice GPU....

The 9600KF, in gaming benchmarks I've seen it in, seems capable of acceptable minimum FPS levels despite having only 6 threads, but, if not opting for the Z390/9700KF, I'd personally go the Ryzen 5-3600/B450 route; it should equal/slightly exceed the 9600K in minimum FPS, and, with 12 threads, should never make the OS feel a case of 'thread- starved' hitches/stutters any time soon...

The 9700K/KF is not cheap, but, it is a gaming beast.

So it wont bottleneck with the ASUS GeForce RTX 2070 Dual Fan EVO V2 OC 8GB. And by the way from the benchmarks i've seen the i5-9700KF performs better than the AMD ryzen 5 3600

Bottleneck calculator:

*This result is based on average CPU and GPU usage from different programs and games. It changes based on operating system, background processes activity and targeted applications. This result is not universal and changes based on differences in hardware and software environments. Please do not use this calculator primary as decision maker than as helping tool to understand performance correlations between different components.

For gaming it will bottleneck the 2070 super in some games, but not 12.15% all the time. In some there won´t be a difference at all in others maybe 12fps at max

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCWOAwYWqdg

All bottleneck calculators are complete misleading garbage and anything you have read on one should be dismissed.

What resolution and Hz is your monitor? Personally I feel an i5 is a bad buy when you can get a Ryzen 3600/3600X. The 9700k is a great cpu but I personally picked the 3700x as I felt it was a better long term buy but I game at 1440p 144Hz and not 1080p 240Hz+.

abdullahmrcool

Reputable
Aug 16, 2017
All bottleneck calculators are complete misleading garbage and anything you have read on one should be dismissed.

What resolution and Hz is your monitor? Personally I feel an i5 is a bad buy when you can get a Ryzen 3600/3600X. The 9700k is a great cpu but I personally picked the 3700x as I felt it was a better long term buy but I game at 1440p 144Hz and not 1080p 240Hz+.

it will be 60hz. But i probably will get a 144hz one later.

abdullahmrcool

Reputable
Aug 16, 2017

My dad's friend is in IT and for this reason my dad trusts whatever he says and for some reason he says that AMD is less reliable than intel hence my dad is making me buy the intel cpu. So all in all with a 144hz monitor will everything be fine (by fine I meant will anything be bottlenecked) with a overclocked ASUS GeForce RTX 2070 Dual Fan EVO V2 OC 8GB /RTX 2070 super. And by the way if my CPU lets say is bottle necked will that not let me multi task for example I'm running a game and want to open discord. Thank you for your help.

abdullahmrcool

Reputable
Aug 16, 2017
Bottleneck calculator:

*This result is based on average CPU and GPU usage from different programs and games. It changes based on operating system, background processes activity and targeted applications. This result is not universal and changes based on differences in hardware and software environments. Please do not use this calculator primary as decision maker than as helping tool to understand performance correlations between different components.

For gaming it will bottleneck the 2070 super in some games, but not 12.15% all the time. In some there won´t be a difference at all in others maybe 12fps at max

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCWOAwYWqdg
thankyou for your video it really helped me out.

USAFRet

Titan
I was just wondering how accurate bottleneck calculator is.
0% accurate.
It is pure snake oil, no connection to any reality.

This is from the same system (mine) a few months apart.
Ny777E1.jpg

My dad's friend is in IT and for this reason my dad trusts whatever he says and for some reason he says that AMD is less reliable than intel hence my dad is making me buy the intel cpu. So all in all with a 144hz monitor will everything be fine (by fine I meant will anything be bottlenecked) with a overclocked ASUS GeForce RTX 2070 Dual Fan EVO V2 OC 8GB /RTX 2070 super. And by the way if my CPU lets say is bottle necked will that not let me multi task for example I'm running a game and want to open discord. Thank you for your help.
AMD being less reliable? I don’t think reliability of CPU’s has ever been an issue. They had mediocre performance 6+ years ago with the old FM2 to FM3+ CPU’s but the current Ryzen lineup really should not be dismissed. I had the option of either 9700k or 3700x and went 3700x purely because my opinion is it’s a better long term option. However the 9700k is an excellent gaming cpu today. I don’t like the i5’s, we are already seeing them be pushed very hard in some games and even though averages can be slightly higher they can suffer lower lows. The issue I have with the i5 is its only 6 threads. We saw the 4 thread i5’s age very poorly a few years back going from great for gaming to bare minimum in a few years while there 4 core but 8 thread i7 counterparts aged much better. I feel the 6 thread i5’s are showing signs already they are not going to hold up as well over time. For example I play COD MW and that game happily uses 12 threads when available and is a game that can max out a current i5. In summary I’d say i7 or Ryzen, just not an i5.

abdullahmrcool

Reputable
Aug 16, 2017
AMD being less reliable? I don’t think reliability of CPU’s has ever been an issue. They had mediocre performance 6+ years ago with the old FM2 to FM3+ CPU’s but the current Ryzen lineup really should not be dismissed. I had the option of either 9700k or 3700x and went 3700x purely because my opinion is it’s a better long term option. However the 9700k is an excellent gaming cpu today. I don’t like the i5’s, we are already seeing them be pushed very hard in some games and even though averages can be slightly higher they can suffer lower lows. The issue I have with the i5 is its only 6 threads. We saw the 4 thread i5’s age very poorly a few years back going from great for gaming to bare minimum in a few years while there 4 core but 8 thread i7 counterparts aged much better. I feel the 6 thread i5’s are showing signs already they are not going to hold up as well over time. For example I play COD MW and that game happily uses 12 threads when available and is a game that can max out a current i5. In summary I’d say i7 or Ryzen, just not an i5.
i know i tried explaining to my dad he doesn't listen! So all in all everything will be fine with the 9700KF. And I wont be having any issues with bottlenecking? (144hz monitor) 1080P

so whats the most legimate way to check bottlenecking?
Stop worrying about bottlenecks. Even the best gaming systems can bottleneck in certain circumstances. Things like resolution, the specific game, game settings, drivers can all impact a bottleneck. The key is to buy a balanced system for the resolution/Hz of your monitor for a given budget. There will be games when the cpu is the limiting factor but there will also be games where the gpu is the limiting factor. Bottleneck is really only a problem when the setup is not balanced and you have a big imbalance between cpu and gpu.

USAFRet

Titan
so whats the most legimate way to check bottlenecking?
By buying a balanced set of parts, and not fretting over a meaningless number.

In my parts list below, i7-4790k and RX580 8GB.
That "calculator" shows a bottlenext from 1.87% to 3.42%(just now) to 18%.
If I were to replace the RX580 with a 2080ti, it would report a higher bottleneck percentage.
But I'd also have better performance.

Like wise if I swapped the CPU for a current 9th gen intel.

'how much bottleneck' is a useless number.

abdullahmrcool

Reputable
Aug 16, 2017
Stop worrying about bottlenecks. Even the best gaming systems can bottleneck in certain circumstances. Things like resolution, the specific game, game settings, drivers can all impact a bottleneck. The key is to buy a balanced system for the resolution/Hz of your monitor for a given budget. There will be games when the cpu is the limiting factor but there will also be games where the gpu is the limiting factor. Bottleneck is really only a problem when the setup is not balanced and you have a big imbalance between cpu and gpu.
I know im asking to many questions, but this is my last one. My gpu and cpu are balanced right?

4745454b

Titan
There are bottlenecks. It can be the CPU, RAM, monitor, etc. If you built an i9 system with 32GBs of ram and a 2080TI and hooked it up to a 1080 60Hz monitor, the monitor is a bottleneck. I've read your post history and I know you are going to disagree. But it is important to look at your complete system and make sure you aren't missing anything important. The i5 with 16GBs of ram and a 2070 should be a good balanced system. If he wants to stream/record as well I'd suggest an i7. But that build should last him a number of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.