[SOLVED] Bottleneck CPU/GPU. Advice to change components.

verentus

Reputable
Jun 19, 2018
Hello everyone, I have a problem of bottleneck since last year, and I would like to resolve it changing my CPU. As a consequence, I think I might need to change my motherboard and RAM memory too. Right now, my PC is:

CaseZalman Z11
Power SupplyCorsair GS800 V2 800W Gaming Series
CPUAMD FX Series FX-8350 4.0Ghz 8X Black Edition
HeatsinkNoctua NH C14S
MotherboardAsrock 970 Extreme4
MemoryG.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 8GB 2x4GB CL9
Graphic CardInno3D iChill GeForce GTX 1080 X4 8GB GDDR5
Hard DriveSeagate Desktop 7200.14 1TB SATA3
SSDSamsung 840 EVO 256GB
DVDLG GH24NS95 Grabadora DVD 24x Negra

And I though to change it to:

CPUIntel Core i5-9600K 3.7Ghz
MotherboardAsus TUF Z390-PRO Gaming
MemoryCorsair Vengeance LPX - XMP 2.0 16 Gb

But I don't know if these new pieces are worth it, or with less powerful components will resolve it the bottleneck problem.
Also, I would like to change both hard disk and SSD because I had problems with them for writing and reading; I think they are broken in some way. So, the whole computer with the changes would be:

CaseZalman Z11
Power SupplyCorsair GS800 V2 800W Gaming Series
CPUIntel Core i5-9600K 3.7Ghz
HeatsinkNoctua NH C14S
MotherboardAsus TUF Z390-PRO Gaming
MemoryCorsair Vengeance LPX - XMP 2.0 16 Gb
Graphic CardInno3D iChill GeForce GTX 1080 X4 8GB GDDR5
Hard DriveWestern Digital Black 2 TB Performance Desktop Hard Disk Drive 7200 RPM SATA 6 GB/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch
SSDSamsung 860 Pro SSD 512GB
DVDLG GH24NS95 Grabadora DVD 24x Negra

My questions are: will the problem be resolved with these changes? And, is it worth these pieces or with cheaper ones would solve the problem, with components with better quality / price maybe?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
First:
Throw the word "bottleneck" out of your vocabulary. With PCs, that word is misused so much that it's become meaningless. Online "bottleneck calculators" are absolute garbage, and WORSE than useless.

Second:
What made you think you had a "bottleneck" in the first place? What specific issues are you experiencing?

Third:
You do have a powerful video card and a relatively weak processor, but, there are a few questions that need to be addressed.

Monitor: What is your monitor's resolution and refresh rate? Does the monitor have FreeSync, GSync, or neither?

Usage: What is the use case? What software are you using? What specific games are you playing? What sort of shortcomings are you seeing?

For the various uses that you think are giving you trouble, it may be good to use something like HWInfo to graph CPU, GPU, RAM, and Disk utilization, to see if anything is being pushed to 100% often.

It's only when these questions are answered can a reasonable solution for changes be offered.

Another thing to consider is: I don't know enough about power supplies to say if the GS800 is one of Corsair's better models or not, as I'm not familiar with the GS series at all. It is, from what I've been able to find, a model that is quite old - the articles and such I saw from a quick Google search all seem to date back to 2010 - 2012. It may have a significant capacity at 800W, but if it's not one of the better quality units in Corsair's stable, then between that and its age, it may be worth replacing.

HOWEVER - I'm hoping someone that's got more expertise with PSUs can chime in on that aspect.

Last edited: