Question Bottleneck GPU now, upgrade CPU later?

Themoniter61

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
Hi, just checking in to see if my idea makes sense or if it's a waste of time/money.

Right now my system is:
i5-4590 (3.3ghz)
MSI-Z87M
16Gb of DDR3 Ram (Ballistix I think)
Radeon R9 285 X
Boot Disk/some games is SSD and then traditional 7200rpm for everything else

Obviously it's showing it's age. My upgrade philosophy has always been to spread out upgrades to avoid the budget shock that is a full replacement. My goal now is to work towards 144hz Gaming with a new monitor. I want to exchange the GPU for a Geforce 1660 TI now (Can get it for 230$ Open Box). Get a 144hz monitor in a month or two and later this year/ next year I would to replace CPU/Mobo/Ram (plus some other parts here and there).

I feel like if I spread it out now I can get some solid gaming off the end of this system, and I'll have more money next year to build around the 1660 Ti since I'll only have to replace the CPU/RAM/Mobo

Will I still get benefits (up to a point) of the 1660 ti like 1080/60fps gaming? I assume sure, but I've never actually intentionally used a bottle necked system

Personally I don't see an issue of upgrading in installments (as it were), though I upgraded CPU, motherboard and RAM first and graphics card later.

To make more sense for you it will depend which component is currently letting you down more. By upgrading that part first you should have a more immediately beneficial upgrade.

Reactions: Themoniter61

Themoniter61

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
Thanks! I figured it would work I just didn't want to spend the money to find out I wasn't as clever as I really thought.
Right now my graphics card is letting me down. If it weren't for that I wouldn't feel like I had to upgrade too much at all. I think that I can get more benefit out of a 200$ graphics card upgrade vs 600$ "magic three" upgrade (Mobo/cpu/ram).

Picking up the 1660 ti today and on my way to having one less excuse (framerate/response time) as to why I let my squad down on Apex.

Thanks yall!