Bottleneck Help? (High CPU usage and low GPU usage)

Try___hard

Commendable
Nov 2, 2016
Okay, so I have a huge problem bothering me, I got a new GPU (GTX 560) and decided to try it out, only to find out that my FPS stayed between 30-40 FPS no matter the graphics settings. I then realized I might be bottlenecked, I checked MSI Afterburner only to see my GPU usage was at 25-30% never went up, and my CPU usage was 100% If it helps, the game was Dark Souls 2:SE

My past card was a 9800GT and it performed almost as good as my new GTX560.

So my question is, how do I fix this? I think I saw it was called CPU bottleneck, I tried to search endlessly on how to fix it, I might be wrong but I think it is the problem, will overcloking or undercloking help? Do I really need to buy a better CPU?

Specs
RAM: 4GB RAM DDR3
Graphics Card: GTX 560
CPU: AMD A4 7300 Dual Core
Power Supply: 600W True Rated Power Supply
Motherboard: Gigabyte F2A68HM-51
Windows 7

Thank you.

Solution
Yeah, I would say your cpu is severely bottlenecking your gpu. However, your can very cheaply upgrade your pc and give it a huge boost. Buy amd athlon x4 860k, it is has the best price/performance ratio you can find for that socket. Whole you're at it, try to find some used ram and add it to your build. All together will cost you less than 100$ and will give your pc a huge boost

kormet

Reputable
Jan 21, 2016
Yeah, I would say your cpu is severely bottlenecking your gpu. However, your can very cheaply upgrade your pc and give it a huge boost. Buy amd athlon x4 860k, it is has the best price/performance ratio you can find for that socket. Whole you're at it, try to find some used ram and add it to your build. All together will cost you less than 100$ and will give your pc a huge boost

Solution

Try___hard

Commendable
Nov 2, 2016
Thank you very much for the replies, I appreciate it, I'll see if I can upgrade, but if I do overclock, should I overclock the GPU or the CPU? (My bad, I'm not knowledgeable about these types of things) and how?

kormet

Reputable
Jan 21, 2016

Do not overclock !!! There are a lot of things that can go wrong with overclocking if you don't know what you're doing, and you could possible do irreversible damage to your entire PC. Besides, cpu that you have isn't really worth overclocking. Even with the good psu and cooling, you will have hard time going over 4.5 GHz, which isn't really worth the trouble. Resulting fps would go up by few digits at most.

As I sad, your best bet would be buying a new cpu, and 860k will give you the best bang for your buck. It is a older cpu, but it handles new games very well and, best of all, it is very cheap.

kormet

Reputable
Jan 21, 2016

You mean A8 7600 (without the K) ? That cpu will to the job just fine. Depending on where you live, you might find X4 845 or X4 860k for lower price. All three of them are pretty decent cpus and they will work with that gpu very nicely.

Overclocking, as I said, won't get you very far with your old cpu, you will barely notice any difference and it's not worth the trouble imo.