Question Bottleneck i7 4790 RTX 3060Ti or maybe 3070

Apr 7, 2023
Hello i have a question :
My current system is
I7 4790
GTX 970
16 gb Ram 1600mhz

so the question is:
If i buy the rtx 3060 ti or rtx 3070 will they bottleneck the i7 4790 because its old gpu or whats the best gpu for this cpu!

So the bottlenck will be your CPU, as it's not fast enough to give the GPU pre-rendered frames. The GPU is much stronger than the CPU you have, and this means your new GPU will always be waiting on your old CPU.

Maybe you could get a second hand GTX1080 or such. It's still quite strong at 1080p.

What games do you play, and at what resolution.

There is no such thing as "bottlenecking"
If, by that, you mean that upgrading a cpu or graphics card can
somehow lower your performance or FPS.
A better term might be limiting factor.
That is where adding more cpu or gpu becomes increasingly
less effective.

You WILL do better with a gpu upgrade.
The question is by how much.

Try this simple test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

If you are very cpu limited, only a platform change will bring a major upgrade.
In the mean time, if your motherboard is a Z prefix, you probably have 20% more cpu power available wit overclocking.

There is no such thing as "bottlenecking"
If,

A better term might be limiting factor
These are essentially the same thing, and the term most people will refer to. I would agree that people get hung up on the term 'Bottlenecking', (personally I despize it). Often they are confused about what the issue is.

However, in this instance, the 4th Gen Intel chip is not providing pre-rendered frames fast enough to such a GPU. The GPU will always be waiting on the CPU.

Change that to a Ryzen 5xxx/7xxx Intel 12th/13th Gen you will see big improvements. That's because the cpu sends the pre-rendered frames faster than the older CPU, unleashing more performance.

Reactions: GarrettL

USAFRet

Titan
Hello i have a question :
My current system is
I7 4790
GTX 970
16 gb Ram 1600mhz

so the question is:
If i buy the rtx 3060 ti or rtx 3070 will they bottleneck the i7 4790 because its old gpu or whats the best gpu for this cpu!
Bottom line - You will get the same framerate as you do today. You will be able to turn the graphics level up quite significantly.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead