Question Bottleneck impacts fps hard?

KD266

Reputable
Mar 20, 2019
Hello
So i was very low on budged for my pc and i decided to buy a graphics card to play games better.
I got a very weak processor and a strong graphics card.
Does that impact fps much and how can i reduce the cpu bottleneck

Thanks in advance

It can have a huge impact on FPS. The cpu determines the best FPS you can get, the gpu determines at what resolution and game settings you can achieve that FPS at.

You can’t really improve a bottleneck without a cpu upgrade. You can turn game settings up to put as much load as possible on the gpu but this won’t improve FPS, it just means for the same FPS the game will look better.

What is your pc spec?

KD266

Reputable
Mar 20, 2019
Pc specs
Core 2 duo e8200
Gtx 1050 ti 4GB
8 GB Ram
Windows 10

I play league ,cs and fortnite
In cs i get very low and fps drops and in fortnite too

I dont have the money to buy the processor right now maybe ill buy it later

:(

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
You're playing titles that are more CPU intensive than anything else, so the aged dual-core E8200 will definitely be a hindrance.

Not a whole lot you're going to be able to do with that system, honestly. If you don't have the money to upgrade anything, all I can suggest is closing any non-critical applications to free up as much resources as possible - but you're still working with a ~11 year old dual-core CPU, there;'s only so much that'll help.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I want to know if it can damage or kill the processor because im afraid it can affect the gpu or smthng else too

You certainly can risk damaging the chip if you give it too much voltage etc. Unlikely to damage the GPU or anything else.

What PSU are you using? What CPU cooler do you have? Provided you keep voltages & temperatures in safe ranges, and have a halfway decent PSU, you should be fine.

KD266

Reputable
Mar 20, 2019
I have a old psu thats why i am afraid and its 300W
I dont know about the cooler tho i have never seen it

Also one more question
What cpu and motherboard do u recommend for the gtx 1050 ti

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Which PSU, specifically? 300W doesn't tell us much, however I'm not aware of any 'good' 300W units out there.
Without knowing which cooler you have, I highly recommend you do not attempt to overclock at this stage.

As an FYI, you can 'edit' your post, opposed to posting multiple replies. I have merged your replies.

A solid pairing for a 1050TI, from a new perspective could be something like a Ryzen3.

At that point, take out the 1050ti and use it in a new pc build.

Your motherboard may support a core 2 quad, something like a q6600. You likely can upgrade to this with your stock cooler as long as your motherboard suppports it.
It does offer 4 cores and decent performance, but titles like apex legends refuse to start since no cpu for that socket supports the required instructions.
Best off just upgrading to a new motherboard ram and cpu

New ddr4 ram is requred to use a new motherboard.
Your current ram is ddr2 or ddr3 and incompatible.
8 GB is enough for those games, but your ram physically will not fit or work in a new motherboard. 16GB is really recommended for a lot of other more demanding games.

KD266

Reputable
Mar 20, 2019
Ilive in a very poor country (Albania)
But i think i have found the perfect processor for me which is the ryzen 3 1300x it costs about 60 dollars in greece and i can get it
What motherboard can i get for this procesor and does it include a cooler?

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD - Ryzen 3 1300X 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor | $84.85 @ Amazon
Motherboard | ASRock - B450M-HDV R4.0 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard | $64.89 @ OutletPC
Memory | G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory | $72.99 @ Newegg
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | $222.73
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-18 18:19 EDT-0400 |

You will need a B350 or B450 motherboard. Most X boards cost more and A series boards should be avoided.
The 1300x, 1200, and 2200g come bundled with an AMD Wraith Stealth Cooler. You can even overclock a bit on those coolers.
You will need DDR4 dual channel ram 3000mhz or faster.