Bottleneck or monitor problem

gorancibej

Prominent
Aug 1, 2018
Hello. I recently bought 1080ti, i7 8700k processor and Asus strix z370-h gaming motherboard. I was monitoring temperatures and my cpu under heavy load goes only to 70 celzius and gpu never above 70 on 1080p gaming. Only problem is that I am playing on 60 hz monitor and not getting full performance. Like in Battlefield 1 I get average 90 Fps and sometimes drop to 70. After really heav load my pc restarts even with optimal temperatures . I am suspecting that problem is my psu of 530W . Under nvidia specs for my 1080ti , it says my psu is compatible. So question is: do I need to change monitor to 144hz for performance and do I need to buy stronger psu to solve my problem for restarting? Thank you

Solution
What is the exact make, model and specs of your PSU? It might not be very efficient. The recommend PSU for a 1080Ti is 600W minimum, according to the Nvidia website, so you are under spec.

You should be seeing much better performance at 1080p with a 1080Ti and 8700K. The restarting is the sign of an issue of some sort. That is for sure. Likely the PSU.

Regarding your monitor, ideally you should get something with a refresh-rate of >60Hz to better suit your system. But in terms of observed GPU performance, if you set V-Sync to 'Off' and ideally enable FastSync (in Nvidia Control Panel) then the fps reported on screen by MSI Afterburner (or the game or whatever application) will not be 'affected' by the monitor connected to the GPU.
Jul 13, 2018
Yeah, you should upgrade your monitor to 144Hz as now, you can only see 60FPS on your screen. The PSU is a little underpowered, I would've gone with a 750-1000W PSU for future proofing. Don't worry about temps, those are high ones too.

What is the exact make, model and specs of your PSU? It might not be very efficient. The recommend PSU for a 1080Ti is 600W minimum, according to the Nvidia website, so you are under spec.

You should be seeing much better performance at 1080p with a 1080Ti and 8700K. The restarting is the sign of an issue of some sort. That is for sure. Likely the PSU.

Regarding your monitor, ideally you should get something with a refresh-rate of >60Hz to better suit your system. But in terms of observed GPU performance, if you set V-Sync to 'Off' and ideally enable FastSync (in Nvidia Control Panel) then the fps reported on screen by MSI Afterburner (or the game or whatever application) will not be 'affected' by the monitor connected to the GPU.

Solution

gorancibej

Prominent
Aug 1, 2018

My PSU is Thermaltake SMARTSE 530 W