[SOLVED] Bottleneck, potentially?

Tschrom

Honorable
Dec 21, 2016
So, I managed to get lucky enough to get my hands on an RTX 3070 after waiting in line at micro center for 3 hours, and now I have a very important question...... I'm using a Ryzen 5 3600X CPU. Will that be a bottleneck to the 3070? Mind you, most of my applications and games are on a 4k TV, at 60hz. Or I use VR.

Edit: I wanted to add that I'm currently using 32GB of ddr4 corsair vengeance lpx ram (4 8GB modules) that I have been using for over 5 years. I'm curious the life span of ram modules and whether or not I should swap those out finally.

Thanks for some answers!

thesub3001

Honorable
Dec 30, 2017
Unless you play esports titles, I assume as others said, at 4k the 3070 will still be the limiting factor in most if not all games you throw at it. About ram unless you start getting corrupt memory blue screen of death or you just have a very low tier ddr4 like the 2100 mhz ram speed rate because that's what was available at the time, I wouldn't say they have a certain life remaining.

InvalidError

Titan
To rephrase your video card will be the limiting factor gaming @ 4K. Don't use the B word.
A "limiting factor" is the very definition of what bottleneck is, nothing wrong with the word itself. There always is one, the question really boils down to whether one will be hit before the desired performance is reached.

That said, at 4k60, the RTX3070 will be the more likely bottleneck most of the time. This can vary wildly from game to game and with game settings.

Reactions: Tschrom