[SOLVED] Bottleneck question

Apr 4, 2020
Hi guys,

Im running a 2600k @ 4.3ghz. and 1060. Im planning on ordering a rtx 2070 super founders edition, will my cpu bottleneck the new gpu? and if so how much? im pretty much getting the rtx for free, just want to know if i will have to upgrade my cpu in the near future(if there is a major bottleneck)

Thanks

Solution
I don't have enough for a new rig, it's either the gpu, or cpu/mobo/ram, which I'm looking at for 9700k, z390, and 16gb+ ddr 4 will be about 600-700. I won't have enough for gpu after that. But if it's not too much of a bottleneck, I can slowly start saving whilst using my 2600k. Cod warzone isn't my main, but should I expect at least a 45% increase in frames with the new card? Or leas
Instead of the Intel, look at Ryzen 5 3600, MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX motherboard, and 16GB RAM. That will be lot cheaper and you still might be able to get the GPU. Otherwise even with your old CPU, you will see a FPS increase with the new GPU. Also at 1440p, which is where 2070 Super likes to live, it is less CPU constrained.
Here is an...
You don't really put a percentage on bottleneck figures. Unless you're looking at one of those extremely useless bottleneck sites.

Your cpu will do just fine. Will you see better performance with a newer cpu, sure of course. Is it going to worth the cost? Play your games and find out yourself. Only you can make that call.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You go for a walk. Some days there's a strong wind in your face and you walk a little slower. Some days the wind is behind you and you walk a little faster. Some days you walk uphill, and a little slower. Some days it's down hill and you walk faster. None of which affects just how fast You can walk, just how fast or slow you are actually walking at any given moment.

No difference between that and a cpu/gpu pairing when the obstruction is really whatever game you are playing.

Apr 4, 2020
I don't have enough for a new rig, it's either the gpu, or cpu/mobo/ram, which I'm looking at for 9700k, z390, and 16gb+ ddr 4 will be about 600-700. I won't have enough for gpu after that. But if it's not too much of a bottleneck, I can slowly start saving whilst using my 2600k. Cod warzone isn't my main, but should I expect at least a 45% increase in frames with the new card? Or leas

Instead of the Intel, look at Ryzen 5 3600, MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX motherboard, and 16GB RAM. That will be lot cheaper and you still might be able to get the GPU. Otherwise even with your old CPU, you will see a FPS increase with the new GPU. Also at 1440p, which is where 2070 Super likes to live, it is less CPU constrained.
Here is an alternative build that will have almost the same GPU performance, but also upgrade the CPU, etc...
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO CPU Cooler ($48.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI B450M MORTAR MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Team T-FORCE DARK Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB MECH OC Video Card ($359.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ B&H)
Total: $783.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-05 09:23 EDT-0400

I included a PSU as I don't know how old your current one is or of what quality. The Ryzen does include a decent CPU cooler, but this one will keep it quieter.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS