[SOLVED] Bottleneck questions need help

Jul 29, 2021
Hi i need help i am wondering if i should buy a new fan cooler or if there is some other solution to my problem. I recently bought a 3070 ti and on 1080p on destiny 2 and other games i only get about 100 frames because my ryzen 7 2700x is only running at 30-40% on task manager and on ryzen master the temperatures are around 75-85 Celsius i am currently using the stock ryzen cooler and am wondering if the cooler could be the problem causing it to bottleneck because it gets too hot or if there is some other fix.

Solution
I am perfectly fine with 100 fps but one main reason for upgrading my gpu was to get 144 hz refresh rate gaming so i was a little disappointed when i was only getting 100 fps
The CPU is mostly in control of the framerate.
The GPU provides the eye candy.

For instance:
If you're getting 100FPS at medium settings
Keep the CPU and upgrade the GPU
You'll still get 100FPS, but at high settings
A Ryzen 2700X is still adequate for most any game, save perhaps those users insistent on perhaps 144 Hz refresh rates on relatively CPU-intensive games...

Could an R7-5800X or R7-3800X hypothetically potentially generate 35% or 18% higher frame rates at 1080P, respectively?

Yes.

BUt is 'only 100 fps' enough?

YOur call.

Jul 29, 2021
A Ryzen 2700X is still adequate for most any game, save perhaps those users insistent on perhaps 144 Hz refresh rates on relatively CPU-intensive games...

Could an R7-5800X or R7-3800X hypothetically potentially generate 35% or 18% higher frame rates at 1080P, respectively?

Yes.

BUt is 'only 100 fps' enough?

YOur call.
I am perfectly fine with 100 fps but one main reason for upgrading my gpu was to get 144 hz refresh rate gaming so i was a little disappointed when i was only getting 100 fps

USAFRet

Titan
The CPU is mostly in control of the framerate.
The GPU provides the eye candy.

For instance:
If you're getting 100FPS at medium settings
Keep the CPU and upgrade the GPU
You'll still get 100FPS, but at high settings

Solution

You'd have to research on whether similar rigs with a 2700X are capable of consistent 144+ fps given your current GPU in your particular game at your chosen res/quality. (Some games scale up quite nicely with CPU and/or GPU upgrades, others much less so...)

Hi i need help i am wondering if i should buy a new fan cooler or if there is some other solution to my problem. I recently bought a 3070 ti and on 1080p on destiny 2 and other games i only get about 100 frames because my ryzen 7 2700x is only running at 30-40% on task manager and on ryzen master the temperatures are around 75-85 Celsius i am currently using the stock ryzen cooler and am wondering if the cooler could be the problem causing it to bottleneck because it gets too hot or if there is some other fix.

There's a number of issues here so lets start with the easy one. If you're running your graphics settings on high or Ultra then 100fps is about all you'll see with the 2700x.

I wouldn't run a 2700x at 75-85c...it's too hot and it is suppressing the core frequency and that's not speculation because I owned one and gamed on it for over a year. You can pull the side panel off your PC and point a room fan into it to see if temps are the issue. Ideally you'd be below 70c at all times while gaming to maximize CPU clock speed...at temps above that the core will start reducing clock speed and volts in an attempt to maintain temps.

You also did not mention your ram choice which can significantly impact the performance of Ryzen cpus. The 2700x will work very well with 3200mhz cas14 memory...faster than that won't provide any real gains for the 2700x.

My suggestion would be to move to a 5600x if you can afford to and to pair the 5600x with 3600mhz cas16 ram. The 5600x will provide significant improvements in your minimum frame rate compaired to the 2700x while also giving a decent boost in most games for the average FPS.

Regardless of which Ryzen cpu you're running focus on keeping temps below 70c while gaming. So improved case airflow and a good cpu cooler are key. This goes for the 2700x, 3600, and 5600x as I've gamed with them all and can speak from personal experience that controlling temps is the best way to maximize performance.

Reactions: JLSticky
do you have any idea why my cpu is only performing at 30 percent?
Total cpu usage is fairly meaningless. You need to monitor all cpu threads individually. It might be the game can only use 5-6 threads maximum out of the 16 so it’s impossible for it to use 100% of the total cpu. Also it’s possible for 1-2 threads to be running at near 100% and limiting performance while other threads are running at a lower %, this is where the game is unable to equally spread the workload.

Reactions: JLSticky