Bottleneck. Restricted Hardware?

Anytime I get curious about something, I ask people on this site. It's easier than doing research, as most sites tell you the "safe" answer, or the answer universally deemed correct. A great example of this is: GPU drivers conflict. I've learned from experience, and from great people on this site, that this is not always the case. Thus here is yet another question :)

Bottleneck. I know what it is, I know how to spot it, but there is one thing that I haven't completely understood.

I tried out this cool site that allows you to see how much your CPU will bottleneck your GPU. So my question stands at this:

If you have a weak processor, as in my case, the i7-3770K 3.8 GHz, would this processor weaken the performance of a 1080 Ti. Meaning, even if your CPU isn't actually being utilized in a graphically demanding game pushing your 1080 Ti to it's limits, would the CPU take away from the 1080 Ti's peak performance by a marginal amount?

The site says my CPU will bottleneck the 1080 Ti by 15%. Would this maybe say I'll only see 85% of the 1080 Ti's real power, and that I would've been better off getting a 1070?

Thanks for the quick response! well, I can only turbo it to about 3.9 GHz due to my mainboard being unable to overclock.

I just have a standard Ultra Wide 1920x1080 60hz monitor.

Also, normally I use frame scaling when possible to push to 4K-like resolution, and normally I see no issues, still getting about 60fps.

1920x1080 is standard, not ultra wide.

Even a 1060 6gb will run practically anything at 1080p/60. You could get a 1070 for good measure but the cpu will not limit the gpu in any appreciable way.

You’d turn fast sync on in nvidia control panel and be good.

I ran a 3570k @ 4.3 with a 1070 and 1440p/144hz monitor for a year. Upgrading to my sig only got me about 15fps on the higher end but did help minimum fps quite a bit.

Sorry someone was talking to me at the same time I was typing and I guess it came out 1920 lmao. No it's 2560x1080. I suppose my min graphics usually hits about 40 in most games, and topping off at about 90 in games I play uncapped. I've never owned a 1070 so I don't know how well it performs, especially with frame-scaling enabled. But Thanks, I'll look into fast sync :)