[SOLVED] Bottleneck RTX 3070

Nov 16, 2020
So I just bought me an RTX 3070. I knew it would bottleneck with my i7 4790k. But I didn't expect THIS much of a bottleneck! (btw I'm always running the game at 1080p) If I run Red Dead Redemption 2 around Medium to High it can get an Avg FPS at 65 and 72. But when I max everything then thats a problem.
You can see by this site with an RTX 3070 and i7 4790k you can get an avg fps of 75 fps at ULTRA 1080p.

But I got 28 fps at Ultra maxed out. Something just feels off. What am i missing here? Is it the RAM or SSD really gonna help in the fps?
Btw I updated Win 10 and Nvidia drivers

My Rig:

Win 10
Intel i7-4790k (Task manager shows speed of 4.38 GHz)
NAVIDIA RTX 3070 Phoenix Gainward 8GB
RAM 8 BG 1333mhz
Maximus VII Hero Motherboard
Hard Drive 1 TB - model - st1000dm010-2ep102

Solution
it is the ram, you need far faster ram to get that performance up.
This should get you what you are looking for

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-240-pin-ddr3-sdram/p/N82E16820231673

you should be able to sell your current ram to make up around half the cost of this new ram and avoid complete platform upgrade

edit: 8gb of 1333mhz maybe 25%

I would advise you update the bios on your motherboard for the best memory support

Ignore the fact that this is ddr4 and a 9900k nothing is changing on the premise of faster ram giving higher frame rates in games
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjbNhCHwlBo

for the love of pete get a ssd....
rtx 3070 and an hdd that's ridiculous

danjw91

Reputable
Nov 5, 2016
I think you got a fake 3070, Nvidia are the real ones.

Anyway, 8GB... Well damn, firstly up your ram. When I was testing for faulty ram I couldn't even play warzone on 8gb, unplayable.

Also I'd probably look at upgrading your CPU but it's shouldn't massively affect it IMO. Have you updated the GPU drivers? Are the PCIE connect correctly? Are the fans operating on the GPU when under load?

Nov 16, 2020

Anyway, 8GB... Well damn, firstly up your ram. When I was testing for faulty ram I couldn't even play warzone on 8gb, unplayable.

Also I'd probably look at upgrading your CPU but it's shouldn't massively affect it IMO. Have you updated the GPU drivers? Are the PCIE connect correctly? Are the fans operating on the GPU when under load?

Mine IS Nvidia. Here is the official site: https://www.gainward.com/main/vgapro.php?id=1096&lang=en
Can you confirm if that one is real. It looks real.
Also here's a video of a guy running RDR2 at Ultra 1080p.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSWXSbT1rnU&t=133s

Tho his CPU is OC at 4.7 GHz while mine is at 4.38GHz

Nov 16, 2020

YAY! Dude my GPU is original. You gave me a fright lol
I used GPU-Z to test if it was the real one. And it is. Its docent show a yellow exclamation sign. It shows the logo of Nvidia.

Nov 16, 2020

"Have you updated the GPU drivers?" YES
"Have you updated the GPU drivers?" YES
"Are the PCIE connect correctly?" Im sure they are. If they werent it wouldnt even turn on.
"Are the fans operating on the GPU when under load?" No. When the fan is under load it doesn't spin. But when Im testing RDR2 then it starts spinning.

DeanTH23

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
1) Download MSI Afterburner and the other statistics app that comes with it and use them to see what's happening when you game.(CPU temps,usage,voltage and GPU temps,usage.)

2) Clean install your drivers.

3) Try your GPU on 1440p and/or 4K...It should perform better and eliminate that severe bottleneck.(If it's not a hardware problem of course)

If you bought a 3070 for 1080p, then you probably already realized that it's a mistake.You can have the performance you want, but with a way faster/better CPU...At this point, if you eliminate the possibility of a hardware issue, you should move to 1440p or 4K ( or get a 9th/10th gen i7/i9 or 3rd/4th Gen Ryzen 7/9, which is totally not worth)

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2020
1) Download MSI Afterburner and the other statistics app that comes with it and use them to see what's happening when you game.(CPU temps,usage,voltage and GPU temps,usage.)

3) Try your GPU on 1440p and/or 4K...It should perform better and eliminate that severe bottleneck.(If it's not a hardware problem of course)

If you bought a 3070 for 1080p, then you probably already realized that it's a mistake.You can have the performance you want, but with a way faster/better CPU...At this point, if you eliminate the possibility of a hardware issue, you should move to 1440p or 4K ( or get a 9th/10th gen i7/i9 or 3rd Gen Ryzen 7/9, which is totally not worth)
Ok I will do that! Will get back to you soon on this. The 1440p and 4K tip is interesting ill try to run at higher resolution to see if the fps gets better. Which is funny.

Btw 1080p is not a mistake. I can easily then play at higher resolution then. The only reason I said 1080p was cause I thought that would make me have higher FPS. Apparently not lol

What your saying is correct if you check the framerate benchmarks. You are certainly CPU bound.

For example, I use to have an i7 4790K for BF1 and its bottlenecked to around 80% GPU usage with a GTX 1080 at 1440p.

In the below link have a look at the picture with the text below this paragraph then scan for the Red Dead 2 framerates.

RTX 3070 (i7-4790K) Ultra Settings
GTX 1070 (i7-4790K) Ultra Settings

Link:
https://www.gpucheck.com/compare/nv...4-00ghz/ultra/ultra/-vs-?lang=en&currency=usd

Nov 16, 2020
What your saying is correct if you check the framerate benchmarks. You are certainly CPU bound.

For example, I use to have an i7 4790K for BF1 and its bottlenecked to around 80% GPU usage with a GTX 1080 at 1440p.

In the below link have a look at the picture with the text below this paragraph then scan for the Red Dead 2 framerates.

RTX 3070 (i7-4790K) Ultra Settings
GTX 1070 (i7-4790K) Ultra Settings

Link:
https://www.gpucheck.com/compare/nv...4-00ghz/ultra/ultra/-vs-?lang=en&currency=usd
Thats the thing. Yeah there is bottleneck. But my bottleneck is huge compared to other tests. The link you showed me shows RDR2 at 68 fps at Ultra vs my fps is 32 fps at Ultra.
Btw im clean installing my GPU driver in safe mode to see what happens.
Also I have a second question. I just updated my Nvidia drivers using GeForce Experience. But that was the one I had for my GTX 980. Maybe there is my problem?
A youtube video showed that I have to go to Navidias site and choose my GPU and donwlound the DRIVER installer for my GPU.
I was using the one for my GTX 980. I dont know if what i said made sense to you.

That's the thing. Yeah, there is the bottleneck. But my bottleneck is huge compared to other tests. The link you showed me shows RDR2 at 68 fps at Ultra vs my fps is 32 fps at Ultra.
Btw im clean installing my GPU driver in safe mode to see what happens.
Also, I have a second question. I just updated my Nvidia drivers using GeForce Experience. But that was the one I had for my GTX 980. Maybe there is my problem?
A youtube video showed that I have to go to Nvidia's site and choose my GPU and download the DRIVER installer for my GPU.
I was using the one for my GTX 980. I dont know if what i said made sense to you.

Okay, you seem a little confused.

Firstly go get Driver Uninstaller:
https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Use Youtube for a how-to-use tutorial. FYI use it in Safe Mode, there is an option in the program.

After all, this is done just double check in Control Panel, Uninstall Program, Then search in the new window 'Nvidia Corporation' to make sure they are all gone.

Then go to:

I am behind with my update as the newest one make my screen flicker for some reason, shouldn't for you.

Hope this helps.

Nov 16, 2020

If you bought a 3070 for 1080p, then you probably already realized that it's a mistake.You can have the performance you want, but with a way faster/better CPU...At this point, if you eliminate the possibility of a hardware issue, you should move to 1440p or 4K ( or get a 9th/10th gen i7/i9 or 3rd/4th Gen Ryzen 7/9, which is totally not worth)
What is totally not worth it. To upgrade my CPU? Or are you talking about the 3rd/4th Gen Ryzen 7/9 which is bad?

So my best options are a 9th/10th gen i7/i9?

Bob125484

Honorable
Jun 13, 2015
You should add more RAM

https://support.rockstargames.com/articles/360037044893/Red-Dead-Redemption-2-PC-System-Requirements
Red Dead Redemption 2 PC System Requirements
Created October 9, 2019Updated July 6, 2020
Print
Minimum Specifications:
  • Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-2500K / AMD FX-6300
  • Memory: 8GB
  • Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 770 2GB / AMD Radeon R9 280 3GB
  • HDD Space: 150GB
  • Sound Card: DirectX compatible
Recommended Specifications:
  • Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-4770K / AMD Ryzen 5 1500X
  • Memory: 12GB
  • Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB / AMD Radeon RX 480 4GB

Nov 16, 2020
You should add more RAM

https://support.rockstargames.com/articles/360037044893/Red-Dead-Redemption-2-PC-System-Requirements
Red Dead Redemption 2 PC System Requirements
Created October 9, 2019Updated July 6, 2020
Print
Minimum Specifications:
  • Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-2500K / AMD FX-6300
  • Memory: 8GB
  • Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 770 2GB / AMD Radeon R9 280 3GB
Recommended Specifications:
  • Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-4770K / AMD Ryzen 5 1500X
  • Memory: 12GB
  • Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB / AMD Radeon RX 480 4GB
Ok I will do that, and tell you guys tomorrow how it went

it is the ram, you need far faster ram to get that performance up.
This should get you what you are looking for

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-240-pin-ddr3-sdram/p/N82E16820231673

you should be able to sell your current ram to make up around half the cost of this new ram and avoid complete platform upgrade

edit: 8gb of 1333mhz maybe 25%

I would advise you update the bios on your motherboard for the best memory support

Ignore the fact that this is ddr4 and a 9900k nothing is changing on the premise of faster ram giving higher frame rates in games
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjbNhCHwlBo

for the love of pete get a ssd....
rtx 3070 and an hdd that's ridiculous

Last edited:
Reactions: GizmoMKD
Solution

danjw91

Reputable
Nov 5, 2016
Ok I will do that, and tell you guys tomorrow how it went

I was just making a joke as you spelt Nvidia as Navidia. But it ain't funny when you have to explain it. Guess 2020 people still don't get jokes.

Like I said, if you've done them then upgrade your ram as you want at least 16gb nowadays for gaming. 8GB won't do at all IMO. Also you said your GPU was running at 10%, that doesn't seem right. Does your motherboard have an option to select whether to use cpu or GPU? That might just be laptops though.

Also, I'm guessing your HDMI or DP is plugged into your GPU and not motherboard?

Fiorezy

Notable
Jul 3, 2020
-In which PCIe slot did you install the graphics card?
-If you managed to run RTSS and monitor your hardware stats, how much is the GPU and the CPU usage?

If you are not willing to pay much, the cheapest solution you got here that may improve your gaming performance is to add a 2nd RAM, it must be identical to your current installed stick in order to get stable dual channel

Nov 16, 2020
We did it bois!
So the problem simply put was the not enough RAM. Before I had 8gb then I put 16gb and it worked.
Now I'm getting 107fps average in the RDR2 benchmark! Where before I was getting 51 fps at the same settings.
Also the worst part before was the constant stuttering and freezes when there was a town or the city. It was very bad.
When I tested it with 16gb. It ran smoooth as can be. My eyes were fixed to the screen i swear I couldn't see one stutter. The most demanding part of the benchmark the lowest I saw the fps hit was 61 fps but then it climbed back up. Vs before it would freeze and go as low as 27fps or even once 5fps.

Lessons learn. YES! 16GB of RAM is needed if you want to play at high settings. Im kind of pissed that there are videos online showing no difference with fps but this proves yes there is a difference.

Also remember I wasn't using an SSD for the test. If I had maybe even then I would get some higher fps.

Anyways the RAM I was using was from my brother so im just gonna by another one for myself. Also spentshells showed me this RAM to get https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-240-pin-ddr3-sdram/p/N82E16820231673 But its not available in my country and if I buy it from the USA the taxes will be too high. So ill buy another one of the same RAM i already got.
(notice I said I had 8gb 1333mhz of RAM. I was wrong I have 1600mhz)

So guys now to the SSD. There are two kinds I can choose from a SATA SSD vs NVME. I wanna get a SATA SSD because its much cheaper than a NVME and the difference Is almost unnoticeable. I could be wrong you guys tell me.
Btw my motherboard is Maximus VII Hero so the SSD has to be compatible with it.

Fiorezy

Notable
Jul 3, 2020
We did it bois!
So the problem simply put was the not enough RAM. Before I had 8gb then I put 16gb and it worked.
Now I'm getting 107fps average in the RDR2 benchmark! Where before I was getting 51 fps at the same settings.
Also the worst part before was the constant stuttering and freezes when there was a town or the city. It was very bad.
When I tested it with 16gb. It ran smoooth as can be. My eyes were fixed to the screen i swear I couldn't see one stutter. The most demanding part of the benchmark the lowest I saw the fps hit was 61 fps but then it climbed back up. Vs before it would freeze and go as low as 27fps or even once 5fps.

Lessons learn. YES! 16GB of RAM is needed if you want to play at high settings. Im kind of pissed that there are videos online showing no difference with fps but this proves yes there is a difference.

Also remember I wasn't using an SSD for the test. If I had maybe even then I would get some higher fps.

Anyways the RAM I was using was from my brother so im just gonna by another one for myself. Also spentshells showed me this RAM to get https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-240-pin-ddr3-sdram/p/N82E16820231673 But its not available in my country and if I buy it from the USA the taxes will be too high. So ill buy another one of the same RAM i already got.
(notice I said I had 8gb 1333mhz of RAM. I was wrong I have 1600mhz)

So guys now to the SSD. There are two kinds I can choose from a SATA SSD vs NVME. I wanna get a SATA SSD because its much cheaper than a NVME and the difference Is almost unnoticeable. I could be wrong you guys tell me.
Btw my motherboard is Maximus VII Hero so the SSD has to be compatible with it.
Good for you, as I thought, RAM was the issue here.

Regarding the SSD, it is not going to give you extra fps but it will drastically improve the OS performance along with faster loading times. I would recommend getting a 2.5" SATA SSD as it is much cheaper and will get the job done. NVMe is nice too but you won't need it unless you do too much copying files and rendering

This just goes to show you that you can't trust all those online videos of purported spectacular performance. ;)

Also, SSDs can definitely help with stuttering. Many open-world games load content from drives during gameplay. An SSD can be THE difference between stutter-city and smooth as silk.

Nov 16, 2020
Good for you, as I thought, RAM was the issue here.

Regarding the SSD, it is not going to give you extra fps but it will drastically improve the OS performance along with faster loading times. I would recommend getting a 2.5" SATA SSD as it is much cheaper and will get the job done. NVMe is nice too but you won't need it unless you do too much copying files and rendering
Yes you were right! Is this SSD compatible with my motherboard? https://www.newegg.com/western-digital-blue-1tb/p/N82E16820250088