[SOLVED] Bottleneck with RTX 3070 and I5 8600k ?

Nov 1, 2020
Hello Guys ! (I'm french)
I want to buy the new RTX 3070 but with my I5-8600k I wonder if there will be lot of bottleneck ? 🤔
And if yes the results will be lot of damage ? That is to say overheated and / or loss lifetime of materials ?
Sae question about game performance ? :)
Thank you for your answer et sorry for the approximate english.
Latalex

Solution
I play on 1080p and for the moment my screen is limited at 60 fps but I can increase the fps of my games if it can decrease the bottleneck...
What is most important to me is the damage side of the material, Does too large a bottleneck damage the GPU or the CPU?
Excessively high/low frames over/below the monitor's refresh can still cause stuttering/tearing, even with G-sync or other adaptive refresh technology; these features have limited operating ranges.

Nvidia Control Panel has a setting called Fast Sync, where frames in excess of your monitor's refresh are tossed out. Use it; that would be best with your current monitor.
Pretty much gives you the benefits of Vertical Sync on/off, but with none of the downsides.

That said...
Nov 1, 2020
This question is identical to this one: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/rtx-3070-to-powerfull-for-i5-9600kf-bottlneck.3658386/
Depends on what you play now and what you will play later on, the latter of which requires a crystal ball.

That cpu just has 6 threads, and there are newer titles that can utilize more than that as it is.
Thank you for your answer,
I don't have much knowledge about the bottleneck that's why I created a new topic with my CPU speccialy,
I play on 1080p and for the moment my screen is limited at 60 fps but I can increase the fps of my games if it can decrease the bottleneck...
What is most important to me is the damage side of the material, Does too large a bottleneck damage the GPU or the CPU?
Thank you again,
Latalex

Teknoman2

Reputable
Oct 13, 2020
unless you plan to get a 1440p 100+Hz screen or better, then the 3070 was a waste of money. the CPU is a serious bottleneck and no, there is no damage from bottlenecks you just don't get the best performance from your card because it does no work while waiting for the CPU

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Excessively high/low frames over/below the monitor's refresh can still cause stuttering/tearing, even with G-sync or other adaptive refresh technology; these features have limited operating ranges.

Nvidia Control Panel has a setting called Fast Sync, where frames in excess of your monitor's refresh are tossed out. Use it; that would be best with your current monitor.
Pretty much gives you the benefits of Vertical Sync on/off, but with none of the downsides.

That said, the 3070 is really excessive for just 1080p 60. 1080p isn't graphically demanding, even on ultra, and 60hz is a cakewalk for many of today's cpus and gpus.
And before you ask, "What if I get a new monitor?", then I have to throw the bone of, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
If the current monitor does what it's supposed to do and you're still satisfied with it, then there's no need to change it, and changing it anyway would be superficial.

Also, erase this damage thing from the equation. Bottlenecking does not mean what you think it means.
It also does you no good to over-think this; there are many possible causes:
-cpu
-gpu
-memory bandwidth
-thermal
-software(coding)
-storage
-ethernet
It isn't just limited to the cpu and gpu - there's always at least one present and no one can avoid it.

Solution
Nov 1, 2020

That said, the 3070 is really excessive for just 1080p 60. 1080p isn't graphically demanding, even on ultra, and 60hz is a cakewalk for many of today's cpus and gpus.
And before you ask, "What if I get a new monitor?", then I have to throw the bone of, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
If the current monitor does what it's supposed to do and you're still satisfied with it, then there's no need to change it, and changing it anyway would be superficial.

Also, erase this damage thing from the equation. Bottlenecking does not mean what you think it means.
It also does you no good to over-think this; there are many possible causes:
-cpu
-gpu
-memory bandwidth
-thermal
-software(coding)
-storage
-ethernet
It isn't just limited to the cpu and gpu - there's always at least one present and no one can avoid it.
Ok, I take good note of your comments, It's true the 3070 is may be excessive vut i do also streaming on twitch and I want a graphics card that can hold it with the biggest games...
Thank you all for your help !

Nov 1, 2020
unless you plan to get a 1440p 100+Hz screen or better, then the 3070 was a waste of money. the CPU is a serious bottleneck and no, there is no damage from bottlenecks you just don't get the best performance from your card because it does no work while waiting for the CPU
I do also streaming on twitch it's for what I don't want to be held back by my equipment, but thank you very much for your answer

USAFRet

Titan
I was misinformed about the consequences of bottleneck thank you for this precsion
The term "bottleneck" is soo misused.

Simply put, it is one component that does not let another component reach its full potential.

Lets say your current I5-8600k , and whatever GPU you have, gets to 100 fps at your desired settings.
Swap in a 3070.
You will STILL get 100fps, but with greater graphics settings if you wish.

The 3070 might be capable of rendering 200FPS at your same settings. But the CPU cannot spit them out that fast.
The CPU is "bottlenecking" the GPU.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I do also streaming on twitch it's for what I don't want to be held back by my equipment, but thank you very much for your answer
For streaming, the best option is to have a secondary PC with a capture card. If that's not an option, then the alternative is:
-a high thread count cpu
-16-32GBs of ram
-streaming is also doable off the gpu via Nvenc, making a high thread count cpu less of a necessity

Nov 1, 2020
The term "bottleneck" is soo misused.

Simply put, it is one component that does not let another component reach its full potential.

Lets say your current I5-8600k , and whatever GPU you have, gets to 100 fps at your desired settings.
Swap in a 3070.
You will STILL get 100fps, but with greater graphics settings if you wish.

The 3070 might be capable of rendering 200FPS at your same settings. But the CPU cannot spit them out that fast.
The CPU is "bottlenecking" the GPU.
Finally a clear and precise definition of bottleneck, thank you