[SOLVED] Bottleneck?

NatanTajak

Commendable
Mar 29, 2020
I have a GTX 980 AMP! Edition, 16GB of RAM and the main big problem, my cpu= I5 2400 3.1ghz.
  1. What cpu should I upgrade to?
  2. Is that cpu the main culprit of my stutter?

Solution
When playing Garry's Mod, it is on 45°C but the max is 58°C.

That's well below the thermal limitations for your CPU. You might want to start looking up on how to overclock your processor.

The motherboard is ASUS P8P67.

ASUS P8P67 Motherboard - CPU Support List
Here is the list of processors that your motherboard supports.
As I suspected, the best processor upgrade for this motherboard is going to be the Intel Core I7-3770/3770K. However, you would need to update the BIOS on the motherboard first, in order to use the 3rd generation processor. Instructions for doing so should be in your motherboard manual (click the Manuals & Documents tab from the link above).

These processors are available from EBay, starting...

USAFRet

Titan
Hey, here is a cool site which will help you find the bottleneck on your pc! It gives you help in which component you should upgrade to not have bottleneck. Take in consideration that you should make more research like youtube videos of benchmarks of your future upgrade.
Sir..I'm curious.
This site and 'calculator' you recommend. How is that "bottleneck" percentage derived?
The OP has given us no actual use case. Is that stutter in a game? Watching a 4k video? halting in extensive SQL queries?
Or if in a game, what game? Some are more CPU intensive, some more on the GPU.

Also, you do realize that the bottleneck number is not what one should be looking at, but rather overall performance.
And that an increase in the "bottleneck" percentage can result in increased performance.
Conversely, chasing a lower "bottleneck" percentage can result in lower performance.

Lastly, are you affiliated with that site in any way? We request disclosure of conditions like that.

Reactions: refillable
Hey, here is a cool site which will help you find the bottleneck on your pc! It gives you help in which component you should upgrade to not have bottleneck. Take in consideration that you should make more research like youtube videos of benchmarks of your future upgrade.
Seriously, bottleneck calculators are misleading garbage that are likely to cause people to make the wrong choice. My advice, completely avoid them and forget anything you ever saw on one.

Reactions: refillable

NatanTajak

Commendable
Mar 29, 2020
And the temps?

Depending on the motherboard and if the temps are low enough, you might be able to overclock your processor which MIGHT alleviate the stuttering, but if not, what is your budget for an upgrade?

-Wolf sends
I only just got into PC stuff, so I'm not very good and I don't know how to check it, however my motherboard is definitely doing its job great, plus my other 6 fans. I have been thinking about the I7 4790K.

Wolfshadw

Titan
I only just got into PC stuff, so I'm not very good and I don't know how to check it, however my motherboard is definitely doing its job great, plus my other 6 fans. I have been thinking about the I7 4790K.

The link I provided in my previous post is to a software package (HWMonitor) that, when installed, will show the temperatures of your processor (and a lot of other information).

The I7-4790K processor is not compatible with your current motherboard. We would need to know the model number of the motherboard in order to determine what processor would be compatible (more than likely an Intel 3rd generation I7), but if you have a high enough budget, then a core system (CPU/Motherboard/RAM) upgrade may be in order.

-Wolf sends

NatanTajak

Commendable
Mar 29, 2020
The link I provided in my previous post is to a software package (HWMonitor) that, when installed, will show the temperatures of your processor (and a lot of other information).

The I7-4790K processor is not compatible with your current motherboard. We would need to know the model number of the motherboard in order to determine what processor would be compatible (more than likely an Intel 3rd generation I7), but if you have a high enough budget, then a core system (CPU/Motherboard/RAM) upgrade may be in order.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan

That's well below the thermal limitations for your CPU. You might want to start looking up on how to overclock your processor.

As I suspected, the best processor upgrade for this motherboard is going to be the Intel Core I7-3770/3770K. However, you would need to update the BIOS on the motherboard first, in order to use the 3rd generation processor. Instructions for doing so should be in your motherboard manual (click the Manuals & Documents tab from the link above).

These processors are available from EBay, starting at around $75 - Buy It Now. Auctions are starting below that. Either way, I wouldn't spend more than $100 for one of these processors.

-Wolf sends

Solution

NatanTajak

Commendable
Mar 29, 2020

These processors are available from EBay, starting at around $75 - Buy It Now. Auctions are starting below that. Either way, I wouldn't spend more than $100 for one of these processors.

-Wolf sends
Thank You very much for your help! I really appreciate it. Definitely saved me a lot of time and money!