[SOLVED] Bottleneck?

Apr 7, 2020
So i have a budget system being a gtx 1050ti paired with a intel xeon x5679 on 10 gb of ddr3 ram with 750 gb hard drive and in fortnite I am getting horrid fps being around 80-90 beginning of game to 100-120 to the rest. I have checked my task manager while playing and on average my cpu is at 55-60 percent with gpu being at around 40-60. My ram is running at about 60 percent as well. I need help as to know what is wrong with my game. Am I bottlenecking?

Solution
So i have a budget system being a gtx 1050ti paired with a intel xeon x5679 on 10 gb of ddr3 ram with 750 gb hard drive and in fortnite I am getting horrid fps being around 80-90 beginning of game to 100-120 to the rest. I have checked my task manager while playing and on average my cpu is at 55-60 percent with gpu being at around 40-60. My ram is running at about 60 percent as well. I need help as to know what is wrong with my game. Am I bottlenecking?

If not using higher graphic settings, the game puts most of the load onto the cpu. The cpu is NOT meant for gaming or other processes like it. Its a workstation cpu, to keep it simple.

I wouldnt upgrade the RAM as even if its going to give a FPS boost, it will be minimal...
Hi there, Xeon CPU's are pretty awful for gaming. They were server and workstation cpus and not built for single core heavy applications like games so that is an issue. Secondly how is your 10gb RAM configuration..... strange number so it may not be running dual channel. I bet the 2 sticks are not the same gb and speed.....

A bottle neck is say where the CPU is at 100% and GPU 30% or other way around (very simple example) I suspect your RAM is the main culprit here though. Get a 16gb "Kit" 2x 8gb sticks and put that in the designated slots on your MoBo. It should help quite a bit.

Be sure to check the recommended RAM speed for your MoBo and find out if there is a list of RAM that is compatible with the board.

Apr 7, 2020
Hi there, Xeon CPU's are pretty awful for gaming. They were server and workstation cpus and not built for single core heavy applications like games so that is an issue. Secondly how is your 10gb RAM configuration..... strange number so it may not be running dual channel. I bet the 2 sticks are not the same gb and speed.....

A bottle neck is say where the CPU is at 100% and GPU 30% or other way around (very simple example) I suspect your RAM is the main culprit here though. Get a 16gb "Kit" 2x 8gb sticks and put that in the designated slots on your MoBo. It should help quite a bit.

Be sure to check the recommended RAM speed for your MoBo and find out if there is a list of RAM that is compatible with the board.
Ok I will try this

If not using higher graphic settings, the game puts most of the load onto the cpu. The cpu is NOT meant for gaming or other processes like it. Its a workstation cpu, to keep it simple.

I wouldnt upgrade the RAM as even if its going to give a FPS boost, it will be minimal. Upgrading your CPU would be much more worthwhile, if its within your budget to do so, for this particular game.

HOWEVER, your ram configuration COULD be holding back your CPU from its maximum performance. Im sure you have heard around the grape vine, but RAM is best used in KITS. Meaning you should NOT have 10gb of ram, either 8, or 16.

I have gotten different rams to work together of the same exact model, different sizes, but its NEVER recommended nor guarenteed to work properly, or efficiently.

Solution
Oh lord yes even 2x4 for 8gb will be WAY better than the mix and match you have now. Different RAM sticks are not meant to be put together, only ever buy a "kit" with 2 sticks as they are guaranteed to work together.... but 16gb would make you system have more headroom for applications going on in the background like windows applications etc.

Oh lord yes even 2x4 for 8gb will be WAY better than the mix and match you have now. Different RAM sticks are not meant to be put together, only ever buy a "kit" with 2 sticks as they are guaranteed to work together.... but 16gb would make you system have more headroom for applications going on in the background like windows applications etc.

Even if its the ram, which yes that is still a problem, the FPS increase would be minimal compared to a CPU upgrade. Hes not looking to have more processes in the background, hes looking to gain FPS.

If not using higher graphic settings, the game puts most of the load onto the cpu. The cpu is NOT meant for gaming or other processes like it. Its a server CPU, to keep it simple.

I wouldnt upgrade the RAM as even if its going to give a FPS boost, it will be minimal. Upgrading your CPU would be much more worthwhile, if its within your budget to do so, for this particular game.

4 RAM sticks at 2x4 gb and 2x1gb is a bit of a mess, they may not even be matched pair of the 2 gb sizes. That will surely put a big handbrake on performance. A new CPU will mean a new MoBo so to get propper matching DDR3 RAM is his budget option to try and get some fps boost. But he has already written he/she has a budget system so they would appear not to have/want to spend another 200$ minimum for a complete new cpu and mobo combination, then comes likely DDR4 RAM ontop for another 100$ etc etc...

4 RAM sticks at 2x4 gb and 2x1gb is a bit of a mess, they may not even be matched pair of the 2 gb sizes. That will surely put a big handbrake on performance. A new CPU will mean a new MoBo so to get propper matching DDR3 RAM is his budget option to try and get some fps boost. But he has already written he/she has a budget system so they would appear not to have/want to spend another 200$ minimum for a complete new cpu and mobo combination, then comes likely DDR4 RAM ontop for another 100$ etc etc...

Even with all that, yes its a mess, its probably running in either single channel, or flex channel mode. However even if he was to get a known working kit, the fps increase would still be lower than the fps increase he would get from a CPU upgrade. Hes most likely on lower settings, hes pushing all the work onto the CPU, and wether or not the ram is running in single/flex mode.. going to dual channel is only a maximum of 10-15fps increase. A CPU upgrade, even though yes there would need to be a MOBO upgrade as well, imo, is the best way to go if looking to get more FPS vs $.

Reactions: Schlachtwolf
Oh hell ya I agree the CPU is a bummer for gaming as I wrote in my first post, just trying to help him to get the best solution with what they have..... I remember what it was like years ago trying to get the max out of poor builds, but then my wife started working so I could get better gear !!!! LOL...... no seriously all any of us here are trying to do is help and the more input the better !!

Reactions: Jason H.