[SOLVED] Bottleneck ?

slick2010

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
I have a Intel 2600k dated but still works good, i only game on this system, have 16 gb of ram and a gtx 1060, would gtx 1660 help me or should I go ahead and do a whole cpu mb ram upgrade?

thank u

Solution
Much depends on the types of games you play.
For fast action games, a graphics upgrade may be good.
Try this test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

If you update graphics, you might go even stronger or you may be disappointed if you do not see magical results.
In tom's gpu hierarchy link, a GTX1060 is 33% or 36% of a titan x.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html
A GTX1660 is 43%.
The 2600K is indeed aging fast...

I'd sure be tempted to check out both the R5-3600 and X570, or perhaps the B450 and R5-3300X combos (either with 16 GB of DDR4/3600 MHz), which certainly would raise the minimum FPS, paving the way for the next massive increase in average FPS with the next GPU upgrade planned...

(Perhaps if you wait a month, you can evaluate the 10600K/10700K into the mix as well....)

Much depends on the types of games you play.
For fast action games, a graphics upgrade may be good.
Try this test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

If you update graphics, you might go even stronger or you may be disappointed if you do not see magical results.
In tom's gpu hierarchy link, a GTX1060 is 33% or 36% of a titan x.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html
A GTX1660 is 43%.

Solution
May 9, 2020
Check these 4 different comparisons and scroll all the way down to Bottleneck Analysis. There's 4 combos:
  1. Current PC
  2. Current PC + 1660 Super
  3. Upgraded PC but keep 1060
  4. Upgraded PC + 1660 Super
From the charts in the website, you can see that upgrading your whole PC while keeping the 1060 (combo 3) gives better performance than only upgrading the GPU to 1660 Super (combo 2). Though, even if you bought the 1660 Super, you can still keep it for your next PC so it's a win-win I guess.

I hope this helps you in making your decision.