[SOLVED] bottleneck

Jul 9, 2020
Hi i bought a RyZen 7 3800X today and i have RTX 2070 MSI Tri Frozr (3fan)
will it bottleneck my 2070?should i change my GPU?

Solution
The time to ask such questions is BEFORE you buy.

There is no such thing as "bottlenecking"
If, by that, you mean that upgrading a cpu or graphics card can
somehow lower your performance or FPS.
A better term might be limiting factor.
That is where adding more cpu or gpu becomes increasingly
less effective.
One rule of thumb is to budget about 2x the cost of the processor for the graphics card.

More important is the types of games you will play.
If you favor fast action games, then budget more for the graphics card.

If you play multiplayer games with many participants then many threads is good; 3800X is tops there.

If you play cpu centric games, then single thread performance is most important.
3800X is ok there, but Intel K suffix...
Hi i bought a RyZen 7 3800X today and i have RTX 2070 MSI Tri Frozr (3fan)
will it bottleneck my 2070?should i change my GPU?
Welcome to Toms Hardware @Amir_saman1 !
Quick answer, no, that CPU is very powerful and will do with any GPU, even the most top-end ones. Even a Ryzen 5 2600 won't bottleneck the 2070. The biggest bottleneck here is your RAM, ryzen is very hungry for Ram speeds and I would recommend at least 3000mhz ram. What is the rest of your specs?

FoxVoxDK

Distinguished
No, you'll run your GPU at maximum capacity, that's not bottlenecking, but 100% efficiency.

You could upgrade your graphics card as much as you'd want with that CPU, no issues there.

Say you had an RTX 2080 Ti and a i7-3820 CPU(what kinda idiot would use such an old CPU, though, right?) and wanted to play in 720p or 1080p then your CPU would not be able to keep up with your graphics card, which is not optimal.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Copy pasting a response I just posted in a separate question not 2 minutes ago:

"Bottleneck" is a badly misused term that has become meaningless.

Do not worry about bottleneck. The important factors are:

• What is your monitor's resolution?
  • What is your monitor's refresh rate?
  • Does your monitor have FreeSync, GSync, or neither?
  • What specific games are you playing?
On that last point - where in one game, the weakest link might be the GPU, on the same exact system, the weakest link might be the CPU. Another it might be how much RAM your system has, etc.

Now, if you can get a used i7 fairly cheap, it would be worthwhile because newer games are starting to demand more threads. Still, the above 4 questions I listed are the most important part of this. There is NO SUCH THING as an ideal mach between a CPU and a GPU.

I'm starting to wonder if we need a sticky somewhere - "BOTTLENECK QUESTIONS - READ THIS FIRST" that explains all this, as the "does it bottleneck" questions seem to come in waves.

The time to ask such questions is BEFORE you buy.

There is no such thing as "bottlenecking"
If, by that, you mean that upgrading a cpu or graphics card can
somehow lower your performance or FPS.
A better term might be limiting factor.
That is where adding more cpu or gpu becomes increasingly
less effective.
One rule of thumb is to budget about 2x the cost of the processor for the graphics card.

More important is the types of games you will play.
If you favor fast action games, then budget more for the graphics card.

If you play multiplayer games with many participants then many threads is good; 3800X is tops there.

If you play cpu centric games, then single thread performance is most important.
3800X is ok there, but Intel K suffix processors are a bit better for that category.

Reactions: King_V
Solution
Jul 9, 2020
Welcome to Toms Hardware @Amir_saman1 !
Quick answer, no, that CPU is very powerful and will do with any GPU, even the most top-end ones. Even a Ryzen 5 2600 won't bottleneck the 2070. The biggest bottleneck here is your RAM, ryzen is very hungry for Ram speeds and I would recommend at least 3000mhz ram. What is the rest of your specs?
rest of specs
R7 3800X
B450-F Asus Rog Strix
RTX 2070 TRI FROZR
16GB 3000mhz
corsair h150i pro 360mm
1TB NVme samsung 970 Pro
2TB HDD
512GB SSD
750+80 Gold PSU