Nov 30, 2020
Hello everyone, this is my first post xD I'm currently running a i7 6700 (non k),16gb 2133, with rx 480 8gb and a 1080p 144hz monitor. I'm planning to upgrade but not all parts at once so i was wondering what should i upgrade first to get those holly 144fps. If the answer is gpu, which one should i get without having too much bottleneck?

Last edited:
Solution
Some games are cpu limited, and some are graphics limited.
It depends on the games you will play.
If you do not have a fast monitor, that can be a limitation also.
If you play multiplayer games with many participants, the number of threads that your processor has can be a limiter.

You could experiment with removing one or more cores/threads. You can do this in the windows msconfig boot advanced options option.
You will need to reboot for the change to take effect. Set the number of threads to less than you have.
This will tell you how sensitive your games are to the benefits of many threads.
If you see little difference, your game does not need all the threads you have.
Most games can not make effective use of more than perhaps 6...
There is no such thing as "bottlenecking"
If, by that, you mean that upgrading a cpu or graphics card can
somehow lower your performance or FPS.
A better term might be limiting factor.
That is where adding more cpu or gpu becomes increasingly
less effective.
You have a relatively well balanced pc now.
What kinds of games do you play?
Try this simple test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

A graphics card upgrade is easy, and can be moved easily to a new cpu build. If you play fast action games look to graphics upgrade first.

Reactions: AlejandroVillarreal
Nov 30, 2020
There is no such thing as "bottlenecking"
If, by that, you mean that upgrading a cpu or graphics card can
somehow lower your performance or FPS.
A better term might be limiting factor.
That is where adding more cpu or gpu becomes increasingly
less effective.
You have a relatively well balanced pc now.
What kinds of games do you play?
Try this simple test:
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

A graphics card upgrade is easy, and can be moved easily to a new cpu build. If you play fast action games look to graphics upgrade first.

I mostly play esports (pubg, csgo, warzone) but i also enjoy AAA games, so i would like to achieve stable 144fps or so in those games too. I dont mind lowering graphics a little bit to get higher fps.

Nov 30, 2020
The reality is that most cpu upgrades also are accompanied by a motherboard upgrade.
The reason is that while sockets might remain the same, it takes newer chipsets to take advantage of the capabilities of newer processors.
So, for example. if i get a rx 6800 or rtx 3070 would my cpu be capable of maintaining at least 120 stable fps? This is of course until i upgrade my cpu

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
So, for example. if i get a rx 6800 or rtx 3070 would my cpu be capable of maintaining at least 120 stable fps? This is of course until i upgrade my cpu
geofelt already told you how you can find out.

If your FPS increases significantly, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays largely the same, you are likely more cpu and ram frequency limited.

Some games are cpu limited, and some are graphics limited.
It depends on the games you will play.
If you do not have a fast monitor, that can be a limitation also.
If you play multiplayer games with many participants, the number of threads that your processor has can be a limiter.

You could experiment with removing one or more cores/threads. You can do this in the windows msconfig boot advanced options option.
You will need to reboot for the change to take effect. Set the number of threads to less than you have.
This will tell you how sensitive your games are to the benefits of many threads.
If you see little difference, your game does not need all the threads you have.
Most games can not make effective use of more than perhaps 6 threads.

How about another test?
To see how important single thread performance is, try reducing your maximum cpu % from 100% to 85% in windows power management.
This gives you insight on how important a 15% boost in single thread performance might be.

Solution