Question Bottleneck?

Strongwolf2

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2014
Recently I upgrade my cpu from a 3700x to a 5800x. I use to get over 5000 points on cinebench R20 with the 3700x. Now I'm getting around 2500 with the 5800x. Truth be told I can identify a bottleneck. That's my conclusion in this case(I could be wrong). How can I know if I have a bottleneck in my system? I know I have to use task manager/ performance and compare the cpu utilization v GPU utilization but that's all I know.
System specs:
cpu---5800x
gpu --RX 5700xt
ram -- 32Gb G. Skill neo 3600
psu -- Corsair 750w semi-modular
boot drive -- Sabrent 1Tb
2nd drive --WD Black 1tb
Can't oc past 4.00Gb because of the heat. I have an Artic 280mm to be use/
Not yet installed on a Fractal D case

Any input is very welcome.

Lutfij

Titan
You forgot to mention the make and model of your motherboard in your specs list. Also, check and see what your BIOS version is for said mystery motherboard.

Fractal Design have a number of cases in their portfolio, which one do you have?

Reactions: Strongwolf2

Strongwolf2

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2014
MB-- Gigabyte X570 WiFi
Case-- Fractal Desing Meshy C
System info said the bios is an F14 but I remember updating after the upgrade.F32 of 1/18
I chk in the bios and it is F32 from 1/18/21

Last edited:

Strongwolf2

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2014
Cinebench R20 ----2266
TimeSpy ----9454
Something is holding back my cpu. Can I use ryzen master OC with PBO enable?
The Cinebench score is just ridiculous. The last recorded score with the 3700x was 4718, so, what gives?

Strongwolf2

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2014
I tinkle a while with PBO, infinity fabric and ryzen master and get 2,537 on CBR20.
Run it ad "defaults" and get 2,526. Weird.
So this I learn so far; nothing that I do alters the bench results. I'm not giving up. Is not possible that a 3700x performs better than a 5800x.
Unless I just lost on the silicone lottery. This will continue.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
No mention of the cores' or die thermals. I see a remark about 'heat' in the first post, but the values under load were not shared.

Tried unplugging and plugging it again? The cpu EPS cable(s), I mean.

Remount the Arctic cooler - double check the paste application. Because there are multiple dies and they are offset, the 'a little in the middle' application may not be adequate. Also, some pastes have specific instructions to spread them manually.
Check cpu for bent/broken pins.

A cpu swap doesn't require a Windows reinstall, but may require a bios PLUS chipset driver update.

Recently I upgrade my cpu from a 3700x to a 5800x. I use to get over 5000 points on cinebench R20 with the 3700x. Now I'm getting around 2500 with the 5800x. Truth be told I can identify a bottleneck. That's my conclusion in this case(I could be wrong). How can I know if I have a bottleneck in my system? I know I have to use task manager/ performance and compare the cpu utilization v GPU utilization but that's all I know.
System specs:
cpu---5800x
gpu --RX 5700xt
2nd drive --WD Black 1tb

Are you OC-ing it manually? Reason AMD doesn't supply a cooler with it is that they don't have anything good enough for it, you should install that AIO asap.
I too switched from 3700x recently and now without any OC (just nicely tuned) getting over 6000 points in CB r20. over 16000 in CB r23.
Although 5000 series do raise throttling temps from 70c on 3000 series to 90c, drop is much sharper when you exceed it.
My best manual OC is 4.7 GHz all core at 1.35v but temps hover at about 84-85c. If I may suggest you try Ryzen Master and run Core optimizer in all core optimization and see what it nets you. That with BIOS defaults except for XMP turned on.

Strongwolf2

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2014
Thanks for the tip. i do use core optimizer and gain a couple of hundred points. You are right I need to install the AIO asap. The system is running on a test bench (other than mb box). I used DDU before installing graphic drivers. Does this uninstall the chipset driver as well? Anyway I reinstall the chipset drivers. No change.
I do OC manually with Ryzen Master up to 4.2Ghz. I won't post again until the mb install on the case with the AIO, of course.
Thank you.
One more thing; I asume mt RX5700xt is not bottle necked?? Does it worth an upgrade to a 6600xt?? 24

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip. i do use core optimizer and gain a couple of hundred points. You are right I need to install the AIO asap. The system is running on a test bench (other than mb box). I used DDU before installing graphic drivers. Does this uninstall the chipset driver as well? Anyway I reinstall the chipset drivers. No change.
I do OC manually with Ryzen Master up to 4.2Ghz. I won't post again until the mb install on the case with the AIO, of course.
Thank you.
One more thing; I asume mt RX5700xt is not bottle necked?? Does it worth an upgrade to a 6600xt?? 24
Ryzen determines performance by factoring in load and temperature and then adjusting voltage to gain best frequency at that time. That could be per core or average of all cores, That's why there are 2 types of core optimization. Optimizing "Per Core" can net better single core performance. It does it by setting voltage on every core so that part helps lowering heat.
As for air coolers, they don't benefit from open air and would work better in well ventilated case. So by using it like that you are doubly handicapped and fight loosing battle with one most important part (heat/temperature) most important for Ryzen performance.

Strongwolf2

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2014
I finally get my 5800x on a working mode. I make a criticak mistake mounting the kiquid freezer II that cuase hiper thermals. I jump a step in the process and I pay the price.
Still not satisfy with my cinebench results. They are lousy (2600 tops). Something is holding back my cpu.
32Gb trident neo @ 3600 (flck@1800) running @ 4.2 Ghz. I know it can go farther but still this processor should be doing better than my 3700x who can do 5000 on CB.
Anyway thank ypu for your time, gentlemen.

Almost forget; 9319 on time spy (GPU--9046 CPU--11,078. Can't tell is there a bottleneck or no.
Do I get a 6700xt??

Don't be worrying about a 'bottleneck', there isn't one! Your CPU can easily drive any high end GPU, including the 5700xt.

Make sure chipset driver is up to date (as @Phaaze88 mentioned), as this will have the most recent Ryzen balanced power plan. Make sure you have that plan chosen as the power profile. Then test again.

Edit: I think you may be thinking about the bottleneck in the wrong terms. Most people have an underpowered CPU to power their GPU. This can cause a bottleneck, where a faster CPU might get more out of a GPU. In your case, your CPU is very powerful, and can drive most modern high end GPU's with little difficulty. Getting a new GPU, if you were CPU bottlenecked, would not give you more FPS, or better scores in CB. But you don't have that issue either. There is something else at play.

Last edited:

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
System specs:
cpu---5800x
gpu --RX 5700xt
2nd drive --WD Black 1tb

A bottleneck is when either the CPU or GPU are a mismatch. You have all the right component so there is no bottleneck (no mismatch). You have other issues that need to be ironed out.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Be careful with Cinebench and using it as judgement to increase performance. Ryzens use 2 criteria for performance, single thread strength and multi thread. It's all well and good to push a 3700x to just over 5000pts in R20, but to get that score means sacrificing single thread, which in games is a Master thread. If that score drops too far, you lose fps, even if multi thread goes up.

I can push my 3700x to 5100pts with all core 4.4GHz and temps sit at 82°C. If I use undervolting and no OC, I get 4900pts at 4.29GHz boosted at 66°C, but single thread score is considerably higher. That equates to averaging 180fps in game vs 210fps in game.

My Ryzen performs considerably better with lower R20 multi, lower SVI2, lower temps, lower speeds on stock boost than it does with an all core pushed OC. If taking fps as the measure of overall performance vrs a benchmark score.