[SOLVED] Bottlenecked 1070 ti?

Apr 8, 2020
Hey guys, i'm new to building PCs, i had this pc for a while now. An intel core i5-8400 paired with a gigabyte b360m with an 8gb corsair 2400 RAM and a 1070 ti gpu. Tried benchmarking it and it shows that my pc is unstable for gaming like fps fluctuates in most new games. Need help on indentifying what parts are the problem, and what should i prioritize replacing because i'm a bit on a small budget at the moment. Would appreciate the help. 😉

Solution
Games fluctuate fps constantly, there's a massive difference in what it takes for the cpu to place all the particles in an explosive fireball or a field of grass, vs staring at a brick wall.

None of the AC titles has been spectacularly optimized, AC3 was really bad for frame changes.

The cpu sets fps, not the gpu. The cpu isn't affected by detail settings or post processing affects or resolution. That's all on the gpu. As is, the 1070ti is strong enough to max out all the frames the 8400 can give it at any detail level, so you'll not see much of an fps change. It's when adding stuff like physX or hairworks that the gpu takes a big hit, so fps drops, but that doesn't affect the fps the gpu receives, just the fps it can put on screen...
Apr 8, 2020
What benchmark shows that?

Specs alone should be fine for 1080P/1440P gaming.

PSU model?
What benchmark shows that?

Specs alone should be fine for 1080P/1440P gaming.

PSU model?

Benched on msi afterburner. Frame drops on Assassins Creed Odyssey and other fairly new games even at medium settings with other effects turned off.

Psu is a corsair cx650(2017).

Sorry for the late reply.

Apr 8, 2020
The single 8gb stick of ram will have a negative effect on gaming performance, especially at only 2400mhz.

Assassins Creed is quite demanding and rather poorly optimized. It may not like only a 6 thread CPU, but it shouldnt run too poorly because of this,
I figured that RAM, would be one of the main issues why my fps drops to 30. Guess i have to add or upgrade to at least 16gb at 2666 maybe? Any suggestions on which ram would be suitable ?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Games fluctuate fps constantly, there's a massive difference in what it takes for the cpu to place all the particles in an explosive fireball or a field of grass, vs staring at a brick wall.

None of the AC titles has been spectacularly optimized, AC3 was really bad for frame changes.

The cpu sets fps, not the gpu. The cpu isn't affected by detail settings or post processing affects or resolution. That's all on the gpu. As is, the 1070ti is strong enough to max out all the frames the 8400 can give it at any detail level, so you'll not see much of an fps change. It's when adding stuff like physX or hairworks that the gpu takes a big hit, so fps drops, but that doesn't affect the fps the gpu receives, just the fps it can put on screen.

Play the game, decide for yourself if it's playable or if you need better. Do not rely on calculators or website benchmarks, they are not accurate to your particular pc, and get endorsed by companies trying to sell you stuff you don't need. There's more than likely an ad or link to a psu or motherboard/cpu combo or gpu saying that's what's recommended to fix your problem.

Reactions: Toyyiiee
Solution
Apr 8, 2020

The cpu sets fps, not the gpu. The cpu isn't affected by detail settings or post processing affects or resolution. That's all on the gpu. As is, the 1070ti is strong enough to max out all the frames the 8400 can give it at any detail level, so you'll not see much of an fps change. It's when adding stuff like physX or hairworks that the gpu takes a big hit, so fps drops, but that doesn't affect the fps the gpu receives, just the fps it can put on screen.

Play the game, decide for yourself if it's playable or if you need better. Do not rely on calculators or website benchmarks, they are not accurate to your particular pc, and get endorsed by companies trying to sell you stuff you don't need. There's more than likely an ad or link to a psu or motherboard/cpu combo or gpu saying that's what's recommended to fix your problem.
Thanks. That's something that wasnt explained to me by the store where i bought this rig from. I kinda get the idea now. 👍

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
They wouldn't. I'd not expect them too. I'd expect they are thinking that in a year or two you'll be back for an upgrade on cpu or gpu or psu. They will always want happy customers, but not so happy that they don't have a reason to return and spend more money. 🤑

You have a decent system. It's not cutting edge, but you didn't pay for that. But what you've got will last a good amount of years. You can always upgrade pieces until the platform becomes obsolete, like anything DDR3 is doing now. No reason you couldn't pick up an i7-8700/k for cheap on ebay later and extend the pc for a few years.

Check userbenchmark.com. Figure out if there's anything not performing as it should, then figure out why. Could be as simple as motherboard chipset drivers, gamebar/Xbox DVR, anti-virus or your bios settings or windows power plan.