[SOLVED] Bottlenecked pc

just_afkej

Prominent
May 3, 2021
Hello. Im new here, so i'll make it simple.
I have 1050Ti with FX8350@4GHz paired with two DDR3L 1600MHz ram (dual-channel) using mobo ASROCK N68C-GS FX. I saw some forums, that 1050Ti with FX8350 won't be a bottleneck or games should play just fine, but I'm getting 10-150FPS at certain games. For example, Apex legends, I'm getting from time-to-time 80+fps, tho, I'm playing on average of ~35fps.
What are my options right now? (I dont have money at the moment to buy new mobo and ram and cpu).
Tried to fix it by doing some stuff in bios(with friend of mine, who is, lets say, advanced, in these things) but didn't help me, so I restored it.
Tried to change some settings at Nvidia control panel, still, no help after all.

rig:
CPU: AMD FX-8350@4Ghz
RAM: Dual HyperX Fury 2x4DDR3L@1600MHz
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050Ti
MOBO: ASROCK N68C-GS FX

Solution
I, at least, can't think of anything that WOULDN'T cost you some money right now. [Except for number 4.]
Taking all you have posted so far, here's a list of POSSIBLES that I can't confirm - because there's no info confirming otherwise:
1)Cpu thermal throttling.
Get AMD Overdrive. Do NOT use any other app for this - they will just cause confusion; the old FX cpus reported thermals differently from the norm, so all the other apps are 'wrong' in a sense.
https://www.techspot.com/downloads/4645-amd-overdrive.html
When you are checking core temperatures in game, are any cores hitting 0 or a negative number? That's thermal throttling - the current cooling solution is inadequate.

2)VRM power throttling.
The current cpu + motherboard...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Make and model of your PSU and it's age? Also, are you working with an SSD or an HDD alone? Might want to reduce the number of partitions on the HDD if that's the only storage device in your build. Also, regardless of what you do to the platform, it's already slow for what you or anyone in 2021 who will tax the system. If you do buy a new (concurrent)processor, you're going to need DDR4 ram and a new motherboard, which should set you back by about 250USD.

just_afkej

Prominent
May 3, 2021
Hi, thanks for response!
I have 3 storages, 1 SSD(250GB or something like that), 2HDD(each 320GB).
i don't have them divided in parts, just 3 storages. I'm using SSD for Windows and few games, because i thought it might help me with FPS.
My psu is old tho :/ Its seasonic with 400W.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I, at least, can't think of anything that WOULDN'T cost you some money right now. [Except for number 4.]
Taking all you have posted so far, here's a list of POSSIBLES that I can't confirm - because there's no info confirming otherwise:
1)Cpu thermal throttling.
Get AMD Overdrive. Do NOT use any other app for this - they will just cause confusion; the old FX cpus reported thermals differently from the norm, so all the other apps are 'wrong' in a sense.
https://www.techspot.com/downloads/4645-amd-overdrive.html
When you are checking core temperatures in game, are any cores hitting 0 or a negative number? That's thermal throttling - the current cooling solution is inadequate.

2)VRM power throttling.
The current cpu + motherboard combo isn't a good one. Low power phase - it looks like a 3 phase - and no heatsinks on the VRM.
Should be at least a 6+2 phase mobo with that FX-8350.
If the VRM is throttling, it's forcing cpu frequency down when things get rough.

3)Nvidia software scheduler causing some, or all cores to run at 100%.
This is a long one, but the short version is: Nvidia uses a software scheduler on their gpus, while AMD uses a hardware one.
The software scheduler offloads more work onto the cpu than the hardware one, which can be problematic with older and slower cpus.
Monitor cpu usage in game - EACH CORE, please, unless they're all getting hammered already. You can use either Overdrive for this, or Msi Afterburner.
Do this AFTER the first 2, because a throttling cores can also be read as running 100%.

4)Storage: disk usage maxed.
250GB SSD: Is it one of those real cheap, dramless models? Those things can perform worse than a 7200rpm HDD. They also can't hold much data before they start slowing down either.
7200rpm HDDs are ok for most titles out there. If they're slower than that, it can be a problem with disk usage too.
I believe Task Manager is enough to monitor disk usage.

Solution
FX processors are poor gamers, primarily because if the low single thread performance.

Add to that a poor motherboard, particularly for a FX-8xxx processor.

My suspicion is that the cause of your variable performance is thermal throttling.
My only no cost suggestion is to take the case side cover off and direct a house fan at the innards to cool off the motherboard and supply fresh air to your cpu cooler.

just_afkej

Prominent
May 3, 2021
FX processors are poor gamers, primarily because if the low single thread performance.

Add to that a poor motherboard, particularly for a FX-8xxx processor.

My suspicion is that the cause of your variable performance is thermal throttling.
My only no cost suggestion is to take the case side cover off and direct a house fan at the innards to cool off the motherboard and supply fresh air to your cpu cooler.
I'll try this, then i'll try monitoring more of the proccesing units, like GPU's cores, CPU's cores and will post right after i'm done or when i'll have time for it.
For now, my SSD is "ADATA SU 630 SCSI" and HHDs are "WD Caviar Blue 320GB, 3,5", SATAII, 7200rpm, 8MB, WD3200AAJS" (im not sure if those are the ones im my "rig", but they are the closest ones i could find using my names in task manager.)
I'm sure that my combo for this mobo is not good, but it was the best i could afford that fits onto that mobo, if not, and if you have time on your side, you could help me and search good RAM, etc, im not that good with finding those, + i was looking at my mobo specs when i was searching for the CPU that could fit in and RAM that were "the best" with specs on that mobo.
I'm certain, that i will have to spend some money to upgrade or alteast, get rid of bottleneck, but i'm not sure how or what to upgrade/downgrade if needed.
What i tried, that i forgot to mention, was that i applied silver thermalpaste (or if that what you call it, not sure but the better one than the one that was pre-applied), and it helped to get atleast some X°C down, so im grateful for that.
To my discs, they are not full, on SSD, i have 50GB left, 1HHD 133GB, 2HHD 75GB left of space.
"Checking cores hitting 0 or negative number?" No, atleast, i dont think so. every core had, if you meant core usage in %, atleast 20% or more while benchmarking in "Apex legends training".

From a cursory search on newegg:
I3-10100 $130
https://www.newegg.com/intel-core-i3-10100-core-i3-10th-gen/p/N82E16819118138?quicklink=true

lga1200 moherboard $85
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813162010?quicklink=true

2 x 8gb DDR4 $75:
https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232417?quicklink=true
( do not buy 8gb, adding ram later may be incompatible)

This totals up to $290, a bit more than when I posted, but you may do better shopping.
You get the idea.
And, here is a review of the i3-10100 as a budget gamer:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i3-10100/15.html

TRENDING THREADS