IronSight

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2008
Hey there,

A friend of mine has a question regarding if his PC is being bottlenecked by it's Processor.

He has a Q6600 and 2x 4870x2 in Crossfire, a pretty hefty machine, but is it bottlenecked?

Everything is running on stock speeds and he has no experience in Overclocking.

IronSight

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2008

Wow, that's a very short but conclusive answer.

Can we somehow discard this myth of bottlenecking than if you're running on a Quad-core, I've seen some reviews but it seems the higher the resolution the less CPU dependant it becomes, so running on 1920x1200 will not be bottlenecked at all.

Interesting.

epsilon84

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
Ignore strangerstranger...

Of course he is bottlenecked. No currently available CPU will not bottleneck such a setup, not even a QX9770 @ 4.5GHz. So tell him he better start cranking that Q6600 as high as it will go if he wants to get his monies worth out of his GPU setup.

http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=770

^ Thats an article looking at CPU scaling on a SINGLE 4870X2. You can clearly see the benefits of the overclocked C2Q @ 3.6GHz. Your friend has DUAL 4870X2s, the bottlenecking would be even worse...

PS. I hope he games @ 2560 x 1600 otherwise all that graphical horsepower is just going to waste.

xnem3s1sx

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
Honestly, I can't see why he would need more power than that, the only game that really needs 2 4870x2's is Crysis, and I haven't had any processor troubles with that game. What Epsilon said seems to have merit, but he really shouldn't worry too much, if he's getting more than 45 FPS, he doesn't need to worry.

ZootyGray

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2008
The real bottleneck is that the ego is driving the bus. Bragging rights is bottlenecked - and that never quits, no solution, perpetual insecurity. You don't want to hear this.

Waste of money - you'll never see the difference. Period. You don't want to hear this.

Buy more power supply.

It's a novelty - you could have bought more beer. You don't want to hear this.

Sorry - that's reality. Or suit yourself.

epsilon84

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
bottlenecking is misused to refer to bottlenecking an individual component of in other words not allowing it to work 100%.

that is BS. bottlenecking should be used to refer to a component that slows down everything to the point that it will not work at a good enough level, in games that means not enough fps at the desired level.

you will never get a balanced system, all you can hope for is that you can play games at acceptable fps, a Q6600 will do that.

people are stupid when it comes to this subject and spend too much time scaremongering. the funny thing is that link actually proves what i am saying.

Creating new meanings and definitions for a word doesn't make you any less clueless to the topic at hand...

ZootyGray

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2008
epsilon - Now that's not a nice thing to say.

Epsilon that legion test is really incomplete - and they have an obvious pro-spintel bias.

The differences in results are insignificant in any case. Anything over 30 fps is not detectable - can't see it. Like in Supreme Command, the worst result is 41 fps - the best just doesn't matter - it cannot be seen. So an old Athlon 64 w a 4870x2, and yer done. Am I wrong? - it's your link!!!!

Overall the differences are measurable but not worth paying for - you'll never have more giggles fragging cos you bought a rolls royce to go to the beer store. It's more about the brand of beer and the temperature - and not about how it arrived in the fridge - it's simply there, and simply available.

Reviews like this are used as spintel bias all the time. If they really wanted to, they could load up those systems to find the point at which it really slows down to a real bottleneck - and that's strangerstrangers point.

But they fall short so they can falsely prove that spintel is better - note they did not discuss the sabotage code that favours spintel in the discussion - or the pro-spintel compilers that were used. DO you know why those new SSE instrux sets are created - not cos we need them - and spintel writes messy SSE's deliberately - so the results pass to programmers, and compilers - or recompilers. Welcome to the dark side. But really, they did not start out to rate cpu's AT ALL!!!! But they went there rather than really dig in to the vidcard itself = the topic.

But in bottleneck conditions, which cpu has the guts to continue? They won't go there. Or better still, which cpu was most consistent - indicating solid performance in any application. Or in real world conditions, which would play movies while reformatting a new partition and playing Crysis - speaking of which, where was that? And why not?

Tests can be spun to say anything. Legion says no cpu is good enough. Deneb is coming very soon, nehilim, not sure when. But maybe AMD can push it's own grafx card. We will see. Two of them? Haha, play 2 games at once! And power consumption is going to be a limiting factor - and watch how the spin changes re that talk; because people say Phenom was pow hungry, and Deneb is a dieshrink. Nihilim is now pow hungry - the talk of great multicore's is paper talk - because the pow footprint goes to 170 watts! But they will tell you it is ok now - different standards. That's why "spintel".
You don't want to hear that either.
or this
an7i7rus7
I don't trust anything they say.
And people talk like they know when they don't. I certainly don't know everything; but I have learned a few things. And there's more.

ZootyGray

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2008
there's tons of this talk on amdzone.com
not bias - they know where the "performance crown" is
but they know how some of that is not all true, and they know how it happened, and that's not pretty - people don't want to hear that

sadly, the public has been raped - and they seem to be happy with that.

and that's really strange

Hey strangerstranger - Cheers!
You a troll? = hah!
Then me too :)

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007

It is definitely bottlenecked both two things:

1. CPU (not interconnect)
2. Crossfire driver

Now there's no remedy to this bottleneck, until he removes one of the 4870X2. I bet he wouldn't even see much change by removing one of the graphic cards. Its simply overkill.

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007

You mean they know where the "performance crown" is, which they deduced from Fuddo's number, that is backed by 0 benchmarks, 0 tests, and 0 reviews? You mean they know where the "performance crown" is, which they simply throw out any number they deemed "unscientific"? You mean they know where the "performance crown" is, and accept anything that's remotely possible, and throw out anything they deemed "untrue"?

A bunch of hypocrites, if you ask me.

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
It is a difficult question to answer since everyone has a different opinion of what a bottleneck is. The term is takin in several different ways. There are also alot of variables involved: game, res, settings, etc... In any point though I think that he will be fine to play games for a while. Do I think that he may benefit from a faster proc in general? Sure I do, but so would I and most others who long for more speed. imo

Best,

3Ball

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
The system is "bottlenecked" by the CPU, motherboard, drivers, power supply, the monitor.......

In all seriousness, this is offtopic but two 4870X2? No offense but apparently "blindly" spending $1100 on video cards and not having any experience OCing, and needing this question answered by forums is evidence of a PEBKAC. Not trying to come off as a jerk here but come on.....the 4870X2 (just one of them mind you) is the biggest of the baddest to date, of course its gonna have some ramifications along with it. And using 2 of them is just a waste all the way around. Another important question is, what motherboard is he using? Hopefully its a X38 or X48.

But on the flip side, at the cost of being contradicting here, I agree with the "scaremongering" thingy...thing.

epsilon84

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
strangerstranger,

I understand your point about a 'meaningless' bottleneck that doesn't affect gameplay, but there are plenty of games where a stock Q6600 will not hit the 60fps mark at max details when the GPU is not the bottleneck ie. Crysis, WiC, Sup Com, FSX, GRID and AoC just off the top of my head, there are many more I'm sure.

You need a faster CPU in order to get the most out of a high end GPU setup. That is all I'm saying, and if the CPU is the limiting factor in the vast majority of cases, yes, I'd call that a 'bottleneck'... you can call it anything you want.