Bottlenecking,and how it happens

alihamad2003

Reputable
Jun 22, 2017
I have an amd fx 6 core processor that is overclockable to 4.1 ghz. Why would this cpu with 6 cores bottleneck a 1080 gpu for example while (i dont remember the cpu name) an intel cpu had 4 cores and up to 3.5 ghz only.Why's that?IK about the single and the multi thread performance and that intel has better single thread performance.So the question is,why would my amd fx 6300 bottleneck a 1080 with 6 cores and for example an intel 77ook with 4 cores and 6 threads(i forgot forgive me pls) would perform so well?

Thanks a lot i wrote this as quickly as possible if you found something unclear then just point it out so i can explain it further more.

Solution
Your six core CPU underperforms the 7700K in single threaded performance. It also underperforms in memory bandwidth. Having more old and slow cores doesn't help. Games don't need more cores they need faster cores.

rhoban

Prominent
Mar 17, 2018
New technology is generally faster.
My friend had an old AMD Phenom II X4 940 CPU. Quad-core at 3.0 GHz. GTA V ran poorly.
Now we upgraded the CPU to a Ryzen 3 1200. Also quad-core at 3.1 GHz. GTA V now runs perfectly.

Similar specs, but the new one is faster.
And there's a lot more to CPUs than just frequency.

The FX CPUs had a weird design, yours isn't a 6 core in the way you think it is. You can research this yourself if you want details on how that works.

In addition, a CPU can be inefficient compared to another CPU design. That's why you could get an older Sandy Bridge quad core with 4 real cores, and it might only run as fast as a new Intel dual core with hyperthreading which only has 2 cores.

If that isn't enough, the videocard you're talking about is one of today's top cards. Do you really think it's makes sense that a CPU from 2012, which wasn't even a fast CPU from 2012, should be a good match for a top videocard of 2018?

It's unfortunate that people are still advertising custom gaming builds and usingold amd six eight ten cores as their hook. Charge people outrageous markup and then leave the consumer pissed off because their new 1k pc can't play CSGO. BUT IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF DO YOUR RESEARCH! OP that 1080 is a horrible combo with that cpu