Question Bottlenecking and physical damage

Jan 6, 2023
Hello guys,

Hope you all are doing well. I currently replaced my GTX 1060 with an RTX 3060 and its paired with a Ryzen 5 2600 on an Asus A320M-K. Will there be bottlenecking? If yes, will it cause physical damage to my components. I currently can’t afford to get a new motherboard and cpu right now… Your suggestions and advice would be helpful..

Any bottleneck would depend on the game, resolution and game settings. A bottleneck cannot cause damage, it really just means the limiting factor for your fps is the cpu and not the gpu. As you are using a Ryzen cpu it would be good to know what exact RAM you have as this will also impact performance.

What could cause damage is using a low quality or too low wattage psu.

USAFRet

Titan
Hello guys,

Hope you all are doing well. I currently replaced my GTX 1060 with an RTX 3060 and its paired with a Ryzen 5 2600 on an Asus A320M-K. Will there be bottlenecking? If yes, will it cause physical damage to my components. I currently can’t afford to get a new motherboard and cpu right now… Your suggestions and advice would be helpful..
No, "bottlenecking" between the CPU/GPU/RAM cannot cause physical damage.

Reactions: RageyBoi
Hello guys,

Yes there will, no bottlenecking cannot cause physical damage to components. It simply means that under certain conditions your CPU can't feed your GPU with data fast enough.

Whether any potentially bottlenecking is worthy of your concern depends on what games you play, at what resolution and what refresh rate. Most games will run happily at 60FPS on a R5 2600 for example.

Jan 6, 2023
Yes there will, no bottlenecking cannot cause physical damage to components. It simply means that under certain conditions your CPU can't feed your GPU with data fast enough.

Whether any potentially bottlenecking is worthy of your concern depends on what games you play, at what resolution and what refresh rate. Most games will run happily at 60FPS on a R5 2600 for example.

Thank you. I currently play at only 1080p and 60 hz refresh rate. I'm planning on upgrading just the CPU since I have financial constraints rn. Says it's supported on my mobo.

Thank you. I currently play at only 1080p and 60 hz refresh rate. I'm planning on upgrading just the CPU since I have financial constraints rn. Says it's supported on my mobo.
If you were to upgrade and assuming your board supports it (cpu list wont load for me) then I would look at a Ryzen 5 5600. I think a Ryzen 7 may stress the VRM configuration a little too much.

Reactions: RageyBoi
Jan 6, 2023
Just because it's supported doesn't necessarily mean it's a good idea. @Nighthawk117 was mentioning that the VRM's on that board are weak. So no OC the CPU, because it may just start to throttle, or show as instability.

Your mobo has a 4+2 power phase design. Not exactly robust,
So do you think it’s better to stick with a 2600 for now and then when I have enough I can upgrade both the cpu and mobo?

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Jan 6, 2023
A 5600 or even 5600X shouldn't be any more demanding than your current 2600. The Ryzen 7 5700X in it's stock configuration is actually fairly similar in power draw, so you probably wouldn't be any worse off with that.
I plan on getting a 5600, since it's less expensive. I'm just waiting to talk with someone so that they can help me flash the BIOS and install the new processor.

So do you think it’s better to stick with a 2600 for now and then when I have enough I can upgrade both the cpu and mobo?

Yes, I would recommend that. Here's a list of B550 mobo's and their breakdowns. I'm sure it could help you choose something suitable in the future.

B550 VRM DB sheet - Google Sheets

If you find you're CPU is throttling, or not hitting peak boost speeds, you know where to look as it very well maybe the mobo holding back a newer CPU.

Although a 5600/5600x are 65w parts you can be sure they draw more than that when boosting. At my own settings, my CPU can go up to 90w with ease (My CPU is currently running with 4.85ghz on 1/2 cores, and 4.65ghz all core), and sometimes higher.

Last edited:
If you have no performance complaints with your 2600, then there is a case for sticking with that and upgrading the CPU and motherboard together at a later date. You do get better features on the newer boards and you avoid the compatibility issues that some older AM4 boards can have with Ryzen 5000.

Only downside to waiting is I'm not sure what the price and availability of Ryzen 5000 will be like and the newer stuff is more expensive. It does seem though that 5000 will remain available for sometime, and Intel also has some good budget options that still support DDR4.