bottlenecking cpu concern

Pcman135

Prominent
Mar 24, 2017
hi there guys. im soon going to buy a gtx 1050ti but am worried my i5-750 @ 2.67ghz will bottleneck it. im not a really fussy gamer or anything and all i want is to be able to run games like gta V / watchdogs 1 & 2 without any lag. will i notice a bad performance loss when playing these games and would it be worth upgrading to an i7-860? please let me know as this is a concern which i want to put to rest :/

Solution
i would put all settings on maximum, install msi afterburner and rivatuner to enable on screen monitoring of the cpu, gpu and fps while playing

to know exactly what results i get, so do the adjustments on the right values to get the desired result

as said before, proceed with the gpu install, the worst it can happen is that you find your cpu running at 100% all the time and you have regular fps and this makes yu decide to change cpu, or perhaps cpu, mainboard and ram altogether

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
gta v is cpu dependant, so if the cpu is slow, a new gpu will not help that much

watchdogs is more cpu dependant than gta v, and is not well optimized so is popular for working slow on decent hardware

a faster cpu could help, with the 100ti, yes, the faster the cores on that i7 the better, hose games, you have 8 gbs of ram already? if not, get 8 gbs to play them

Pcman135

Prominent
Mar 24, 2017

hi ther. ive played farcry 3 on it and it works well and ive watched gameplay for the i5 750 on gta v and it looks like it performs well but will it bottleneck badly?

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
remember that bottleneck is just a part not running at 100%, limited by other that doesn't let it reach it maximum potential

so if the gpu can offer you 100fps and gpu doesn't push hard, you could get 70 fps

nothing more will happen, is just unused potential, nothing will break, nothing bad will happen, at all

keep in mind that you have the first generation i5, it is in no form, a speed demon

having said that, go for it, the worst it can happen is that you discover that you need a hardware upgrade, something from this decade

Pcman135

Prominent
Mar 24, 2017

hi there. i have two questions ;)

1. will it lag even if it bottlenecks or will it just drop a bit in fps?
2. will a i7 860 improve bottlenecking?

let me know :)

Pcman135

Prominent
Mar 24, 2017

do you think i should upgrade to i7 860? will this make less bottleneck? im on a budget.

Kenton82

Reputable
You could always lower the quality on the games you are playing in an attempt at reducing the lag you speak of. But as 'atljsf' said, the i5 you have is not very quick, and the i7 860 will not really provide a huge jump in power even though it has a larger cache and has hyper-threading. ( i know as i have an i7 950) But it would be interesting, and would probably smooth a few things out slightly.
K.

Pcman135

Prominent
Mar 24, 2017

hi there. do you think there WILL be lag on medium settings. the youtube vids show no lag with my processor but even still... let me know ;)

Kenton82

Reputable
That processor will still hold your GPU back, but as for lag on medium settings, I wouldn't have thought it would be that bad. I am running my i7 950 @ stock and coupled with the GTX 970 that I have installed, this is as far as I can go without wasting money and causing a bigger bottleneck.
You should be fine, just don't expect to be using that GPU to its full potential.

Regards,
K.

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
i would put all settings on maximum, install msi afterburner and rivatuner to enable on screen monitoring of the cpu, gpu and fps while playing

to know exactly what results i get, so do the adjustments on the right values to get the desired result

as said before, proceed with the gpu install, the worst it can happen is that you find your cpu running at 100% all the time and you have regular fps and this makes yu decide to change cpu, or perhaps cpu, mainboard and ram altogether

Solution