[SOLVED] Bottlenecking: Should I upgrade?

MasterBlaster22

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
Hi fellow Nerds,
I got exceptionally lucky enough to get a new 3080 card from EVGA through a enroll- sign up- and wait lottery. I got it for msrp price so when I got the email about being “preselected” I jumped on it.
I got the 3080 FTW 10GB one.

I really don’t want to spend any more money, being that I also just got the new monitor for it last week- the MSI Artymis MPG curved 32.

Question is: How much of a bottleneck is going to affect me with using my 3 year old i7 8086K?
I wonder if I need to get a new processor, but I don’t really want to unless the bittleneck is gonna bother me.

8086K 6 cores running

I’ve had it clocked like this for a while- like, maybe a year. Temps and stability are A-OK, crash free.

Advise: Would I notice a difference with a 10th gen + chip?

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
The golden standard is to have a try first. Is your game suffering from framedrops, LOD delays, unexpected low framerates, or anything like that, to yourself?

Other components might be more of a bottleneck, if you had less than 16GB of RAM, RAM not in dual-channel config, or have to load games from a slow HDD. The impact of your processor alone would be more limited than those.

MasterBlaster22

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
The golden standard is to have a try first. Is your game suffering from framedrops, LOD delays, unexpected low framerates, or anything like that, to yourself?

Other components might be more of a bottleneck, if you had less than 16GB of RAM, RAM not in dual-channel config, or have to load games from a slow HDD. The impact of your processor alone would be more limited than those.

Well, I have not had any complaints whatsoever with what I have. I have not even used the new 3080 yet, or unboxed it. I have been told in other places that “your old coffee lake is going to be your bottleneck.”

MasterBlaster22

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
Depends on game, resolution and refresh rate. Cpu sets how many fps the graphics card can achieve, your cpu is still capable of doing a fine job. Try it first before thinking about upgrading.
Ok. Yeah I think I will. There was someone telling me that the old coffee lake chips are going to give me a heck of a 10% bottleneck on a new 3080

MasterBlaster22

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019

8086k slightly faster single core turbo but essentially the same gaming compared to 8700k.
Idk- it can get 5 ghz across 6 cores if I want to do that in Intel Extreme
Tuning Utility.
I guess that does not really answer the question as to how much of a bottleneck that cpu would create as opposed to a 9th or 10th gen comet or Alder

MasterBlaster22

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
Idk- it can get 5 ghz across 6 cores if I want to do that in Intel Extreme
Tuning Utility.
I guess that does not really answer the question as to how much of a bottleneck that cpu would create as opposed to a 9th or 10th gen comet or Alder
From the article that you provided, it looks like the writers firmly believe that the 8700k (8086k) is still going to be quite fine for most all gaming applications even today

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Bfv for example, very intensive resource hog and cpu also needs to dish out frames as well. 8700k able to do 167fps in 1080p, 123fps low i assume in areas increased in activity. That's still very good. Cyberpunk is more intensive again and still 8700k is over 100fps. Then there's Warzone topping out at 204 with quite the drop in low though but that would be more related to the game's optimisation more than anything else.

Imo your system is good enough to last you a good while, beyond 13th gen when ddr5 speeds really start to kick in.

Reactions: dotas1

MasterBlaster22

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
Bfv for example, very intensive resource hog and cpu also needs to dish out frames as well. 8700k able to do 167fps in 1080p, 123fps low i assume in areas increased in activity. That's still very good. Cyberpunk is more intensive again and still 8700k is over 100fps. Then there's Warzone topping out at 204 with quite the drop in low though but that would be more related to the game's optimisation more than anything else.

Imo your system is good enough to last you a good while, beyond 13th gen when ddr5 speeds really start to kick in.

thank you that's great!