Question bottlenecking

savioaugust

Reputable
Apr 26, 2019
Hey can someone tell is it fine to use gtx 580 3gb version with i7-640m processor of course the gpu will be egpu for the laptop since this laptop has extra pcie- port. How much bottleneck can be seen here.

Yeah you're going to get a bottleneck, biggest bottleneck will be the GPU dock itself, the PCI-E cord is so long that it is a main bottleneck. Nothing you can do about that when it comes to all GPU docks.

but you might still get a bottleneck from the CPU too, so I'd say you'll loose around 40% GPU performance at most.

savioaugust

Reputable
Apr 26, 2019
Yeah you're going to get a bottleneck, biggest bottleneck will be the GPU dock itself, the PCI-E cord is so long that it is a main bottleneck. Nothing you can do about that when it comes to all GPU docks.

but you might still get a bottleneck from the CPU too, so I'd say you'll loose around 40% GPU performance at most.

Ok then can u suggest which gpu to use to have less bottleneck. Also the pcie port is mini pcie the standard wifi port. Its like this laptop has an wifi expansion slot that pcie only.

savioaugust

Reputable
Apr 26, 2019
a GTX580 uses twice the power of the GTX1050 (300 watts vs. 150), and gives 10-20% lower frame rates; with slower mobile processors of 9 years ago, I imagine things only go downhill further quickly, unless only playing games from 8-10 years ago...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60APLRfsxI4
Oh yeah i wont be playing AAA titles i mean i will only play games which were released till 2014 max. Will that be fine?

SHMILY

Great
Mar 1, 2019
hswelectronics.com
GTX580 will Loss of most performance due to x1 slot.
I have a acer laptop which I replaced the i3 to i5 560m that is smiliar with your 640m.
If you can make the 640m under 75 Celsius degree(means not influence the performance of this cpu), I think you also can play some games.
I think it's fun to use external graphics cards, but the power consumption of GTX580 is too high. Why not consider GTX950 with similar performance?

SHMILY

Great
Mar 1, 2019
hswelectronics.com
Why not assemble a desktop PC? There's no convenience in using a laptop with an external graphics card. Desktop-level I3 with similar performance costs only $10, and I recently assembled a computer for only $30.
So you have to use external graphics cards, the more high-end graphics cards lose performance.
GTX660 760 950 960 i's not expensive now.

savioaugust

Reputable
Apr 26, 2019
Why not assemble a desktop PC? There's no convenience in using a laptop with an external graphics card. Desktop-level I3 with similar performance costs only $10, and I recently assembled a computer for only $30.
So you have to use external graphics cards, the more high-end graphics cards lose performance.
GTX660 760 950 960 i's not expensive now.
Cant afford pc right now thats why i was asking about gpu which wont bottleneck much playing games of 10 years old at least till 2013 games.