Bottlenecks?

urian

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2004
What bottlenecks are there for the GPU?
Eg. I've got a P4 2,5GHz processor and a Geforce4 TI 4200 atm. I'm going to upgrade both (AMD 54 FX-53 and either a x800xt pe or 6800U) but I was wondering if there's any point in getting the new graphic card before I get a new processor (cpu price a bit too high yet)?

Also, which factors may prove a bottleneck to the GPU?

In your scenario there is little reason to jump to an interim card unless there is a game you can't play (I'd be surprised if that were the case since you have a GF4ti). IF you are talking about a year away upgrade then maybe and R9800 would be ok 'til then, but if you are upgrading in the near future no point in wasting money in between.

As for a bottle neck to the CPU, slow memory, slow drives, etc. Everything has an impact. You can get around any graphical 'bottleneck' by changing resolution/quality settings. But if you like the newer games, and you like them big and shiney, then yes your GPU could bottleneck the CPU.

Some games like UT2K4 the CPU represents the biggest impact, but for something like Tomb Raider or <A HREF="http://firingsquad.com/hardware/x800_pro_pentium4/page6.asp" target="_new">Lock-On</A> will require more VPU power to get the most out of the game

Funny thing is even with the new cards it appears that the AMD64 3800+ is still somewhat of a CPU bottleneck for many games like FarCry despite all it's wonderous visuals. In <A HREF="http://www.guru3d.com/article/article/136/4/" target="_new">Guru3D's review</A> the X800XT and X800pro are neck and neck except for at 16x12 on the 3800+ where the Pro shows a slight dip, yet the XT gives pretty much the same results at 10x7,12x10 and 16x12. Even the GF6800s show significant drop of at 16x12, but the X800XT is still at the same level as before and the same level as the X800pro at lower res. So these cards abviously have even more in the tank, whether it's 5% or 50% is unknown until we get more powerful CPUs.

My advice to you, only buy an interim card if you aren't planning on building your new rig until winter.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

urian

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2004
The reason I'm planning to buy a new card is that my current one is on the verge of breaking down (not quite sure what it is, but when it seems like it didn't like the last time I moved). The fan is all but broken and I'm getting graphic errors quite often :frown:

Hmm, then I'd say go with a quick tempo replacement strategy, and get a cheap R9800 for the time being so that you have something sale worthy on e-bay when you build your whoel new rig.

Of course if you can get a GOOD DEAL on the GF6800GT or X800 series then you could give those a try too, but right now with them being somewhat rare, they aren't priced well for the most part, and with that 2.5 you won't see the kind of improvement you could. However it's not like they will be obsolete soon, and they will easily go from your current rig to your next when the time comes.

The two main things are can you get a reasonably cheap R9800 which you can turn over at near cost, or can you find a new Card (X800Pro+/GF6800GT+) without a premium?

While I usually suggest upgrading for what you play right now, since you need a new card anyways, it's hard not thinking about the games that should be out later this summer.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

urian

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2004
I'm not quite sure if it's a _good_ deal, but I can get an Asus x800 XT Platinum Edition for 570€ (roughly £680).

EDIT: That should of course be $680<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Urian on 07/14/04 08:13 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
if ur loaded... go for it

if your sqeeze pennies out of ur pockets... don't

bottlenecks are decided by you, not the industry, other wise you'd be changing video cards every 8 months. When u buy ur most favourite game in the world and ur comp pooped out on u... then u should consider an upgrade

and that is why I'll be playing Pacman 3D for a long time (i'll always have to top of the line comp :D)

RIP Block Heater....HELLO P4~~~~~
120% nVidia Fanboy+119% Money Fanboy
GeForce 6800 Ultra--> The Way we thought FX 5800Ultra is meant to be played
THGC's resident Asian and nVboy :D