Question Bottom half of display flickering in fullscreen games

Aug 11, 2022
I have a Gigabyte A7 K1 Laptop with:
Nvidia Geforce RTX 3060
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H
144hz 1080p display
Windows 11

From what I can tell this only happens when the program, usually a game (but it’s happened once or twice in spotify and steam), is in fullscreen. I’ve never seen it happen on the desktop, in a browser, or task manager. The game it happens in most is FTL, but when I play it in windowed mode it hasn’t happened. I’ve tried uninstalling and reinstalling drivers both new and old and nothing has fixed it. The refresh rate doesn’t seem to be responsible, it happens at 60hz and 144hz. Moving or tapping the screen doesn’t have any effect, opening up the laptop to check the cables didn’t reveal anything. I suspect at this point that it is either the display itself or the graphics card, but I don’t know what, if anything, I can do aside from try and send it in to customer support, but if anybody has any more ideas I would appreciate it. Attached is a youtube link to a video I took of Deathloop, but it happens so frequently in FTL usually that I could probably get a video of it there too.

View: https://youtu.be/hcoq1ZQYTk0

Last edited:
it could be a gpu defect.. but you could try this:
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall every gpu driver using DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors (is a must, should be 16 on yours since it's 16 threads, also when it asks for restart, click on no and keep uninstalling all processors) on device manager like this:
    unknown.png

• Uninstall AMD Chipset Software in control panel (if there is none, skip it.)

• Update the bios and reboot once it's finished (make sure to read the update SOP).

• if successful, boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver (should be ver 4.06.10 for now), then reboot.

• Install the latest gpu driver (nvidia latest, then radeon ver 22.8.1 if you use Win11, 22.5.1 if Win10), reboot, and then connect to internet.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver. Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

Reactions: jerrymaguired
Aug 11, 2022
it could be a gpu defect.. but you could try this:
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall every gpu driver using DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors (is a must, should be 16 on yours since it's 16 threads, also when it asks for restart, click on no and keep uninstalling all processors) on device manager like this:
    unknown.png

• Uninstall AMD Chipset Software in control panel (if there is none, skip it.)

• Update the bios and reboot once it's finished (make sure to read the update SOP).

• if successful, boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver (should be ver 4.06.10 for now), then reboot.

• Install the latest gpu driver (nvidia latest, then radeon ver 22.8.1 if you use Win11, 22.5.1 if Win10), reboot, and then connect to internet.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver. Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

Thank you for the reply, I’ve been at my wits end with this. I will try these steps tomorrow hopefully and reply back with the results soon after.

Reactions: Koekieezz