Bottom Line on Install CD? Anyone?

Mike

Splendid

I tried reading through the thread up above but could not figure out
if any has yet to create their own "install CD" following the method
as prescribed by Dell. Just curious!

Mike

"Mike" <Mike@SunnyOrlando.com> wrote in message
>I tried reading through the thread up above but could not figure out
> if any has yet to create their own "install CD" following the method
> as prescribed by Dell. Just curious!
>
> Mike

I've made the restore CD on both Dim4700 and 8400 systems - each had a CDRW
drive.

Stew

And this disc can be used with a replacement HD to restore the OS in your
computer?

"Cathy De Viney" <NOSPAM.ccdeviney@cox.net> wrote in message
> And this disc can be used with a replacement HD to restore the OS in your
> computer?

Sure it can. Why wouldn't it?

Unless you replace your 40gb or 80gb hard disk with a Pentium I era drive
that is too small to accomodate the image size - and that's not likely to
happen.

Most of the inflated images seem to be 5gb or less in size.

Stew

> "Cathy De Viney" <NOSPAM.ccdeviney@cox.net> wrote in message
>> And this disc can be used with a replacement HD to restore the OS in your
>> computer?
>>

> Sure it can. Why wouldn't it?
>
> Unless you replace your 40gb or 80gb hard disk with a Pentium I era drive
> that is too small to accomodate the image size - and that's not likely to
> happen.
>
> Most of the inflated images seem to be 5gb or less in size.
>

> Stew

You have to look to Compaq, who's restore disk required the partition on the
drive to still exist. Stupid.

That said, we've already had confirmation here that the created disk is a
standard XP disk, NOT an image.

Tom

> "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Cathy De Viney" <NOSPAM.ccdeviney@cox.net> wrote in message
>>> And this disc can be used with a replacement HD to restore the OS in
>>> your computer?
>>>

>> Sure it can. Why wouldn't it?
>>
>> Unless you replace your 40gb or 80gb hard disk with a Pentium I era drive
>> that is too small to accomodate the image size - and that's not likely to
>> happen.
>>
>> Most of the inflated images seem to be 5gb or less in size.
>>

>> Stew
>>

> You have to look to Compaq, who's restore disk required the partition on
> the drive to still exist. Stupid.
>
> That said, we've already had confirmation here that the created disk is a
> standard XP disk, NOT an image.
>
> Tom

Huh. We have? Hmm. I've created said discs, but I've not actually
restored using one.

But thinking back having explored one of the created discs, I believe you're
right. There were no PQI image files or the like. It looked very much like
a standard XP disc - probably because it was (is).

I guess I was thrown by the "create a restore disc" on the start/programs
menu. I associate that with a complete image reinstall....

Stew

Cathy De Viney Wrote:
> And this disc can be used with a replacement HD to restore the OS in
> your computer?

My new Inspiron 1200 - which is fitted with a CD-Writer - did not
provide the option to burn an OS CD or Recovery CD. The only solution
in my case was to phone Dell and complain, but at least the media
arrived the following day.

Geordie.

--
Geordie