Bottom right corner of screen unresponsive to mouse

JCRoswell

Reputable
Jun 12, 2015
On an irregular (but reliable) basis I run into an issue where the bottom corner of my screen is unresponsive to my mouse. A reboot makes it go away, but I know it's coming back at some point.

The area of the screen affected is roughly 25% of the height of the monitor and 20% of the width, right above the taskbar tray area. I've got a desktop running Windows 10 and two non-touch monitors. Only the main monitor is affected. A square also appears on the screen like a really big pixel (see the picture below). That square doesn't seem to do anything. I can right-click or left-click it and nothing happens.

Anywhere below or to the right of that square my mouse will do nothing, except on the taskbar - that works fine. But for apps that are open that area of the screen is dead to me. For example, if I click on the page slider near the bottom of the screen (the empty part that should make it jump a page at a time) then it doesn't move the page. If, however, I click on the page bar and drag it down I can keep dragging it until I hit bottom (which is in the dead part of the screen). That makes it even more confounding to me.

I've found people with similar problems, but haven't found a solution for my particular situation. It seems like for other folks some software was the culprit, but it's always been for a piece of software I don't own. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Now excuse me while I reboot... :/

Reepime

Prominent
Aug 8, 2017
This seems to be a malware issue in my opinion. I'd run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (www.malwarebytes.org) to remove anything fishy.

Beyond that, we'd need to know what programs are running when the problem occurs.

JCRoswell

Reputable
Jun 12, 2015

That's it! I bow to your superior search engine skills. I never found the right combination of words to come across this solution.

It appears to be a mostly hidden pop up. When I click where the "X" would normally be it closes the hidden window. No wonder I didn't notice the changing of the cursor at that spot because even armed with this knowledge it was hard to find.

Now I just need to figure out who the culprit is. Perhaps Reepime's suggestion can help there. I imagine it will take some trial and error to find a permanent solution, but at least I can make it go away now. Thanks so much for the help!