[SOLVED] Bought 1080, is it underperforming?

N325TX

Reputable
Jun 2, 2016
http://prntscr.com/ovplou

http://prntscr.com/ovpojc

I bought this GTX 1080 off of eBay a couple of days ago. I received it today, tested it out, and I believe it is scoring lower than it's counterparts. Is this true? I'm pretty sure it's just my i5-6600k bottlenecking it. I've ordered an i5-9600K and a new motherboard too but they haven't arrived yet. Also... any ideas on my PSU? Do I need to upgrade?

PC specs: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vXrdNQ

Thanks

Solution
Why does Nvidia Inspector display the P8 P-STATE for your GPU. Which Windows OS power plan are you using ? Is that GPU currently in idle desktop mode ?

P-States are GPU active/executing performance capability and power consumption states. These GPU performance state APIs are used to get and set various performance levels on a per-GPU basis.

P-States range from P0 to P15, with P0 being the highest performance/power state, and P15 being the lowest performance/power state. Each P-State maps to a performance level.
  • P0/P1 - Maximum 3D performance
  • P2/P3 - Balanced 3D performance-power
  • P8 - Basic HD video playback
  • P10 - DVD playback
  • P12 - Minimum idle power consumption
Please post a GPU-Z screenshot.

Ramlethal

Estimable
The PSU is TOO short, i would definitly recommend to go over 750W from EVGA or Seasonic Only.
As for the GTX 1080 Being bottlenecked. It is definitly getting bottlenecked. based on its physical cores and its frecuencies i would say about a 40% Of the Maximum GTX 1080 potential.
So the newer i5 will certainly fix the issue.

Reactions: ELM2721 and N325TX

N325TX

Reputable
Jun 2, 2016
The PSU is TOO short, i would definitly recommend to go over 750W from EVGA or Seasonic Only.
As for the GTX 1080 Being bottlenecked. It is definitly getting bottlenecked. based on its physical cores and its frecuencies i would say about a 40% Of the Maximum GTX 1080 potential.
So the newer i5 will certainly fix the issue.

I appreciate the help and the specifics on the issue. I've been out of gaming for a while and I decided to start upgrading my old rig. (y)

The PSU is more than adequate. I doubt your whole system consumes more than 350W. I am not too familiar with Cinebench scores, however, I know that it's not a good metric for GPU performance. You can try running other benches (even gaming benches) and maybe I can help.

I can also notice on GPU-Z that the GPU is running at PCI-E x4 speed. It should be x16. Make sure you are correctly installing it on the correct PCI-E slot (usually the top one).

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

N325TX

Reputable
Jun 2, 2016
The PSU is more than adequate. I doubt your whole system consumes more than 350W. I am not too familiar with Cinebench scores, however, I know that it's not a good metric for GPU performance. You can try running other benches (even gaming benches) and maybe I can help.

I can also notice on GPU-Z that the GPU is running at PCI-E x4 speed. It should be x16. Make sure you are correctly installing it on the correct PCI-E slot (usually the top one).

I really appreciate the bit about the PCI-E! I'll move my card up a slot.

Why does Nvidia Inspector display the P8 P-STATE for your GPU. Which Windows OS power plan are you using ? Is that GPU currently in idle desktop mode ?

P-States are GPU active/executing performance capability and power consumption states. These GPU performance state APIs are used to get and set various performance levels on a per-GPU basis.

P-States range from P0 to P15, with P0 being the highest performance/power state, and P15 being the lowest performance/power state. Each P-State maps to a performance level.
  • P10 - DVD playback

Last edited:
Solution
I believe as long as you have the correct driver installed, the card correctly installed, the P states should change accordingly to whatever you are currently doing in your PC. Metal Messiah is right about the power plan though. The very first thing I do on Windows is to change the power plan to "High performance".

N325TX

Reputable
Jun 2, 2016

• P10 - DVD playback

Here's my power plan: http://prntscr.com/ovqgju (I assume that's what you wanted)

How do I change my P-State?

By the way, my PC was sitting idle with nothing open except Chrome.