Bought 16GB (8GB x 2) RAM installed, Windows says only 7.46GB can be used.

snc1970

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
Hi everyone!

Originally, my system has installed 8GB RAM (2GB x 4). Both the PC and the Windows can recognize it and use all memory. The system is running with good performance. Now I bought 16GB (8GB x 2) RAM installed in dual channel mode.

My OS is Windows 7 64 bits Ultimate Version (Traditional Chinese). Motherboard is ASUS Z97-K. BIOS is upgraded to the latest one.

POST is normal and it clearly shows and recognizes that the new 16GB RAM installed. The system can boot and log in into Windows 7 successfully. The PC is running fine as good as before installation.

The system properties of Windows 7 shows clearly that 16GB memory has been recognized and installed. But it says only 7.46GB can be used!!!

Anyone knows what happens to my PC and what should I need to do in order to use up ALL 16GB RAM?

Thanks everyone in advance.

Here is the spec of my PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 @3.2GHz, 4 cores, no overclocking.
Motherboard: Asus Z97-K
Memory: Kingston Hyper X Fury HX318C10FRK2/16, DDR3-1866 16GB kit (8GB x 2) CL 10
(I use it at speed 1600 and 1333. The problem is still there.)
Hard Disk: Crucial MX100 256GB SSD
Display: Galaxy Geforce GT730 1GB DDR5

it may have memory sharing between the onchip gpu -- most times it will reserve about 1/2 unless set or disabled in the bios settings

in my bios listed as

Share Memory
Configure the size of memory that is allocated to the integrated graphics processor
when the system boots up.

so if I had 16gb and set this to 8 plus what windows reserved for its self all remaining is what can be used..

so that's something to check

snc1970

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008

I am not using GPU. I am using a separtate PCIe VGA card. Also, no setting in BIOS to set share memory.

Thanks.

snc1970

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008

Problem solved! :lol:

My C drive has 2 partitions,one has Windows 7 installed and the other one has Windows 8.1 installed。

Type command MSCONFIG.

- -> at BOOT tab I can see 2 OS. By default it highlight and select Windows 8.1. I switch to choose Windows 7 by highlight it. Then, press "Advanced Option". At the check box of "Maximum Memory", uncheck it. Then reboot the PC.

The 8.5GB reserved memory will release and finally I get back ALL my RAM. Windows 7 now can use all 16GB memory!

That's it and well done! :D

snc1970

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008

I don't use on board VGA or GPU. I use an independent PCIe VGA card. So, the Share memory option will not appear in BIOS.

Anyway, the problem has been solved! :lol:

My C drive has 2 partitions,one has Windows 7 installed and the other one has Windows 8.1 installed.

Type command MSCONFIG.

- -> at BOOT tab I can see 2 OS. By default it highlight and select Windows 8.1. I switch to choose Windows 7 by highlight it. Then, press "Advanced Option". At the check box of "Maximum Memory", uncheck it. Then reboot the PC.

The 8.5GB reserved memory will release and finally I get back ALL my RAM. Windows 7 now can use all 16GB memory!

That's it and well done! Thanks for your advice. :D