[SOLVED] BOUGHT 2080 TI Right before 3090 Launch : MISTAKE?

AlienwareGamerALX

Prominent
Jul 16, 2019
Months ago, the day before the presentation of the 3090, I bought a 2080 TI on ebay
I didn't need it, but due to the release of the new cards, the prices were very low.
As soon as I saw the performance of the 3090 I realized I had made a mistake: it was on another level

But now, many months later and with gpu prices so high, I wonder if I made a mistake or not
3090 is on another level of performance, but it s 1500euro : about X4 times the price of mine (payed around 400e)
and actually it s hard to find a 3090 for 1500e, you have to pay more

Solution
Most years it would be a mistake but I got a 2070S about 1 month before they announced the 30 series cards. You have card now, you can use it whereas finding a good deal on the new cards seems unlikely. So no, its not a mistake this time. You did well :)

I was kicking self for a while but as things went along, and you can't get the new cards, the sting has become less. I could be still waiting for a card now.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Most years it would be a mistake but I got a 2070S about 1 month before they announced the 30 series cards. You have card now, you can use it whereas finding a good deal on the new cards seems unlikely. So no, its not a mistake this time. You did well :)

I was kicking self for a while but as things went along, and you can't get the new cards, the sting has become less. I could be still waiting for a card now.

Reactions: AlienwareGamerALX
Solution

AlienwareGamerALX

Prominent
Jul 16, 2019

400 is a steal. Unless you have a 4k 144hz monitor and an extra £1000+ lay around, i’d say you made a pretty solid choice.

thank you for your point of view, I am happy to have positive confirmations, even if I did not imagine the evolution of the gpu market, it was a coincidence.
When I saw the memes about the owners of the 2080ti I assumed I made a mistake :)

yeetbucket

Proper
Jan 14, 2021
Don't listen to the memes about it. The 2080 ti is still a monster card , and the 3090 is out of stock everywhere. Especially since you got it for 400€ , there are some people would would still pay 700-800€ for that card. You made the right choice