[SOLVED] bought 3900x, not sure if these temps are normal?

Apr 30, 2020
Hello,
just a disclaimer: a week ago I knew that AMD and Intel existed, but that's about it. I did not know that AMD CPUs are called ryzen, that temps matter etc. I just paid for AWS. Stuff like water cooling is sci fi to me.
When it comes to temps, I see a lot of conflicting info, but this forum seems to be very knowledgeable and I would really appreciate any help.
So I built a semi new PC.
CPU: 3900x, stock cooler, enabled high RPM
MB: MSI B450 Tomahawk max
RAM: HyperX 16GB KIT DDR4 3200MHz CL16 Predator Series
VGA: old Geforce GTX1060 (pulled from friend's crypto 2yr old farm, I never play games, I'd use integrated VGA if I could)
PSU: old EVGA 650 GQ (ditto, should be high quality PSU and 2 years are supposedly fine)
case Fractal Design Focus G.
I build the pc myself, but everything went smoothly afaik. Downloaded all updates and new chipset driver. The only OC done is enabling XMP in MB, so that I get 3200MHz from my RAM. I use HW monitor and ryzenmaster

when cpu is idle it seems to run at 43C
I use the pc for:
-light work+OBS recording my screen (not gaming, not streaming, recordings are for myself), 6-8hrs/day: CPU seems to run at roughly 63C, not quiet, but that might be normal, I never had pc this strong
-heavy data analysis using all 24 threads, 10-12hrs/day, CPU seems to run at 95C within 3-5 minutes, cooler at ~3600RPM and it's very loud. I get uncomfortable to be honest.

In roughly 1 year I expect the pc to run data analysis for 24-36hrs/week and that's it (it will be also moved to a cold room). I expect the pc to survive ~2-3 years, longer would be a bonus, but I dont care that much. But I don't like feeling like I'm ruining the CPU.

1)is this normal/long term sustainable? I read that AMD would cap the temps at safe for the CPU levels, but also that 95 is really high. I have no idea. Everybody says something else. I also suspect that most people online assume that PC needs to survive longer, whereas I expect to buy a new pc within 2-3 years anyway.
2)if it is not normal, is it likely that I messed up the PC build (like maybe thermal paste got screwed up during cooler install), or is it expected from such a workload?

Assuming I need to do something, I assume I have two options, right?
a)buy a new cooler. I'd rather not do it for two reasons: financial and the chance that I'll screw something up trying to install it.
b)undervolt CPU. Is this a legitimate option? I could easily live with 10% drop in performance.

Is this correct?

Thank you guys very much, any help is appreciated!

Solution
Hello,
just a disclaimer: a week ago I knew that AMD and Intel existed, but that's about it. I did not know that AMD CPUs are called ryzen, that temps matter etc. I just paid for AWS. Stuff like water cooling is sci fi to me.
When it comes to temps, I see a lot of conflicting info, but this forum seems to be very knowledgeable and I would really appreciate any help.
VGA: old Geforce GTX1060 (pulled from friend's crypto 2yr old farm, I never play games, I'd use integrated VGA if I could)
PSU: old EVGA 650 GQ (ditto, should be high quality PSU and 2 years are supposedly fine)
case...
Mar 30, 2020
95 celcius is really high. Most cpu should be around 65-75 with load and anything above 90 is a danger zone. Firstly, I'd say make sure that thermal paste is applied and the CPU is properly contacting the water cooler.
Also is this CPU overclocked? AMD is overclockable so did you boost the ghz from the standard 3.8 (i think for the 3900x) to a 4.6? This will also increase the temps. Either way that CPU will be fried if it continues with 95+

Encryption+

Upstanding
Sep 26, 2019
Yes 95 is too hot. The AMD spec for all their CPU's is 90C max.

The stock cooler has a reputation for being a bit underpowerd for that CPU and the best option is to get a better cooler. You don't need a water cooling for that CPU just a good air cooler. I use the Dark Rock Pro 4 on my 3900X and it's fine. Also check your thermal paste as mentioned above.

jon96789

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
I have a 3900X and experienced the exact same issue as you... You have to replace the stock cooler with a better solution. i opted for the Corsair H115i RGB Platinum. It still get pretty hot but maxes out at about 85 degrees and occasionally peaks at 90 when doin video encoding. It usually idles at about 36-38 degrees C.

Note that I use Power Saver mode in Power Options in control panel. If I used AMD Balanced mode, the idle temps are about 45-50 degrees C.

Hello,
case Fractal Design Focus G.
I build the pc myself, but everything went smoothly afaik. Downloaded all updates and new chipset driver. The only OC done is enabling XMP in MB, so that I get 3200MHz from my RAM. I use HW monitor and ryzenmaster

when cpu is idle it seems to run at 43C
I use the pc for:
-light work+OBS recording my screen (not gaming, not streaming, recordings are for myself), 6-8hrs/day: CPU seems to run at roughly 63C, not quiet, but that might be normal, I never had pc this strong
-heavy data analysis using all 24 threads, 10-12hrs/day, CPU seems to run at 95C within 3-5 minutes, cooler at ~3600RPM and it's very loud. I get uncomfortable to be honest.

In roughly 1 year I expect the pc to run data analysis for 24-36hrs/week and that's it (it will be also moved to a cold room). I expect the pc to survive ~2-3 years, longer would be a bonus, but I dont care that much. But I don't like feeling like I'm ruining the CPU.

1)is this normal/long term sustainable? I read that AMD would cap the temps at safe for the CPU levels, but also that 95 is really high. I have no idea. Everybody says something else. I also suspect that most people online assume that PC needs to survive longer, whereas I expect to buy a new pc within 2-3 years anyway.
2)if it is not normal, is it likely that I messed up the PC build (like maybe thermal paste got screwed up during cooler install), or is it expected from such a workload?

Assuming I need to do something, I assume I have two options, right?
a)buy a new cooler. I'd rather not do it for two reasons: financial and the chance that I'll screw something up trying to install it.
b)undervolt CPU. Is this a legitimate option? I could easily live with 10% drop in performance.

Is this correct?

Thank you guys very much, any help is appreciated!

Those idle Temps are normal. The included cooler isn't good enough for this chip. Period. If you plan on keeping that cooler make sure you have very good case airflow.
95 celcius is really high. Most cpu should be around 65-75 with load and anything above 90 is a danger zone. Firstly, I'd say make sure that thermal paste is applied and the CPU is properly contacting the water cooler.
Also is this CPU overclocked? AMD is overclockable so did you boost the ghz from the standard 3.8 (i think for the 3900x) to a 4.6? This will also increase the temps. Either way that CPU will be fried if it continues with 95+

Not sure what you're saying but Ryzen 3900x automatically boosts to 4.6 when load and temps. are within specs.

Solution
Apr 30, 2020
Those idle Temps are normal. The included cooler isn't good enough for this chip. Period. If you plan on keeping that cooler make sure you have very good case airflow.

Not sure what you're saying but Ryzen 3900x automatically boosts to 4.6 when load and temps. are within specs.

thank you. Is underclocking an option?

Apr 30, 2020
I guess. But why?
changing cpu cooler feels dangerous.
ok so a battle plan:
1) I just found out that my airflow sucks, I don't have a rear fan in my case. I'm buying 2 120mm fans: one at the top of the case, on at the rear, both are gonna be setup as exhaust fans (jesus I'm learning so much lately).

2)if that fails to get sub85C temps, Dark Rock Pro 4 + thermal paste. Hope to hell I don't screw it up.

if that fails, just fry the cpu and buy a new one in 6 months?

honestly I'd prefer to just force cpu to start throttling at 85C, the same way it's throttling at 95C, but I can't figure out how to do that. I tried forcing CPU to work at 90% in windows power saving mode, but it just took longer to reach 95C.
Obviously ideal would be getting to 85C just by adding to exhaust fans, but I somehow doubt I'm gonna get that lucky

Am I missing something?
thank you

jon96789

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
Again, as a current 3900x owner, I had the exact same experience with the stock AMD Wraith Prism cooler. The CPU would reach 95 degrees C when encoding videos (which runs the CPU at 100%). I changed to a AIO water cooler which dropped the CPU temps by 10 degrees. Still hot but a bit better. If you look at other 3900X threads, you will find that this is normal behavior. Remember, you are now running 12-cores, which will run a lot hotter than Intel's 8-core solutions. I hate to see what Intel's next gen CPU wills be running at. They will be at the archaic 14 nm die size and up to 10 cores and rated at 125 watts TDP, 30% higher than current Intel CPUs.

Apr 30, 2020
Again, as a current 3900x owner, I had the exact same experience with the stock AMD Wraith Prism cooler. The CPU would reach 95 degrees C when encoding videos (which runs the CPU at 100%). I changed to a AIO water cooler which dropped the CPU temps by 10 degrees. Still hot but a bit better. If you look at other 3900X threads, you will find that this is normal behavior. Remember, you are now running 12-cores, which will run a lot hotter than Intel's 8-core solutions. I hate to see what Intel's next gen CPU wills be running at. They will be at the archaic 14 nm die size and up to 10 cores and rated at 125 watts TDP, 30% higher than current Intel CPUs.

just fwiw I bought 2 case fans, since I found out that my case is equipped to handle more fans. So I bought two exhaust fans, put one in the rear and one at the top. The temp instantly dropped to 85C in full load. I also left my case open and the temp never goes above 82C anymore, even with a stock cooler. I bought nh d15s, but since two cheap fans are enough I'll be returning it.

I guess what I'm saying is that case airflow goes a long way. My temps dropped by 13-15C after improving it.