Bought a 1060 6B but thinking of sidegrading for money

Feb 16, 2018
Bought one, gaming g1, for the exact equivalent of 386. 67 USD and its been eating at me. I am thinking of trading for a used 980 for similar performance and they're available for anything around 265 to 310 USD, to recoup a significant chunk. Or a 980ti for 380 for 1070 tier performance. My monitor is 1080p 60Hz so it'll be a bit more future proof

But then again the smart thing to do might be to wait for Volta/Ampere/Turing and use the 1060, and pounce there? Don't know what to do

Solution
I would say you've done fine with purchasing the 1060. If you want to trade up for the 980 or the 980 Ti then go for it if that's what you want. However, you can also wait until the new cards come out. But then again, the bitcoin mining bubble might pop before then and cause all of the prices to drop to MSRP on the 10 series cards and you would end up losing out on money then. On the other side of the coin with the new 10 series cards, you are getting great performance with less energy usage and heat output which saves on electricity and the need for a beefier PSU. And while the 1060 and the 980 are nearly similar in base performance, it's when you overclock the 1060 that you see the biggest difference. Plus, the new 10 series cards are...

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
I would say you've done fine with purchasing the 1060. If you want to trade up for the 980 or the 980 Ti then go for it if that's what you want. However, you can also wait until the new cards come out. But then again, the bitcoin mining bubble might pop before then and cause all of the prices to drop to MSRP on the 10 series cards and you would end up losing out on money then. On the other side of the coin with the new 10 series cards, you are getting great performance with less energy usage and heat output which saves on electricity and the need for a beefier PSU. And while the 1060 and the 980 are nearly similar in base performance, it's when you overclock the 1060 that you see the biggest difference. Plus, the new 10 series cards are going to be guaranteed to work perfectly with the new nvidia software that's being utilized more and more in new games to give you that better quality of gaming without the performance loss that you will see in the older cards. To top this all off, using software like shadowplay to stream or record gameplay works better without any performance loss on the 10 series vs the older series because of the way it is designed and the fact that you can overclock a lot farther than with the maxwell line ensuring that you get all that performance the way you should. And pascal is great for VR as it was designed for handling it whereas maxwell isn't and you can only get a decent VR experience when you overclock the hell out of it and you aren't even guaranteed a smooth 60fps in full HD.

Solution
I understand what you're saying, it is a lot to spend, however sticking with what you've got would probably be the best idea. Yes you could get a used card, but do you really want to take the chance that it has been abused (being overclocked to the max and running high temperatures), just to get a few dollars back?

In the current market, used cards cost way more than they should too, and often you don't get any warranty with them, it actually makes new cards look not too bad.

I'd only look to the 980 Ti if you wanted to upgrade assuming someone will buy your 1060 for $100 over MSRP. You gain a performance bump worth $100 but you lose any warranty. The card dies and you are stuck with nothing.

I'd only look to the 980 Ti if you wanted to upgrade assuming someone will buy your 1060 for $100 over MSRP. You gain a performance bump worth $100 but you lose any warranty. The card dies and you are stuck with nothing.

rustigsmed

Distinguished
i would keep it for 1080p 60hz gaming.
sell it when you need the upgrade, you will lose out on resale in the future if you buy an older model. and lets face it, most people upgrade gpus more than the rest of their system.

Feb 16, 2018

Thank you so much, pretty much the consummate answer. I should pretty much keep it.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
I guess I should also state that you can keep the 1060 and whether the bubble pops first or the new line of GPU's comes out first, either way you'll see a price drop on the current 10 series making it more affordable to upgrade to a better card in the 10 series when that happens.

Feb 16, 2018
I understand what you're saying, it is a lot to spend, however sticking with what you've got would probably be the best idea. Yes you could get a used card, but do you really want to take the chance that it has been abused (being overclocked to the max and running high temperatures), just to get a few dollars back?

In the current market, used cards cost way more than they should too, and often you don't get any warranty with them, it actually makes new cards look not too bad.

Pretty much what I will do. Amp/Turing and waiting it out would be the only sensible option

. I'd only look to the 980 Ti if you wanted to upgrade assuming someone will buy your 1060 for $100 over MSRP. You gain a performance bump worth $100 but you lose any warranty. The card dies and you are stuck with nothing.

Actually tried that but didn't pan out because of distance. But again a performance delta of 30% with next-gen uarch wouldn't be smart for me

i would keep it for 1080p 60hz gaming. Sell it when you need the upgrade, you will lose out on resale in the future if you buy an older model. and lets face it, most people upgrade gpus more than the rest of their system.

Yeah, and any fear of frame drops at max 1080p can be allayed with an OC. The system itself is old, 2500K/P67/16GB 1600, so its pretty much going to be a system rebuild next year.

Best answer chosen and thanks everyone. Don't want to be a nuisance but I just wanted reassurance that I wasn't scammed at 386 bucks. At least its brand new.