Bought a 48V 20AH battery off amazon. Charging port on the battery looks like it was deep fried.

jeepmare

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
I just got it today, opened it up and the port on the battery itself looks like someone dropped it into a deep fryer, it has 25% battery and i tested the actual output on the project i bought it for and it does seem to work, I'm scared to even plug in the charging port though. asking if this is something i could get repaired or repair myself. If i can do it how would you recommend doing so. Alternatively i live in oregon is there any place you'd recommend i should go for repairs? Any help is greatly appreciated!

View: https://imgur.com/a/IWf5Gbd

jeepmare

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
I got it from a company called Viset on amazon, as a new item. They were well reviewed, so im guessing i just got a lemon or something.
Im talking to their support and they want me to try and repair it but i have no clue how to do that safely.
Amazon wants me to wait two days before i escalate to them.
HOWEVER! in the event that i can't get it replaced and you don't recommend i do it myself (which is fair, i don't really know what i'm doing), would you think a hobby shop or something of that sort would be able to repair something like this?

USAFRet

Titan
What is this for?

Could a competent shop 'repair' it?
Can't really tell the full extent of the damage, but that doesn't really matter.
New is new. Not messed up in need of fixing.

I certainly wouldn't accept a device like that.

jeepmare

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
Finally got an email back from support they've agreed the exchange the battery for a new one.
My post was mainly for the unlikely scenario of they arent gonna take the return back and who should i go talk with to maybe fix the problem and not have a $300 paperweight.. But i do appreciate your recommendations. Thank you.