Bought a 9800pro, what about rest of system

Sam

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2004
866
0
18,980
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

Hi folks,

I bought a 9800pro 128MB at a good price. The rest of my system is:

xp1800 (overclocked to xp2000 speed)
K7S5A
512MB PC2100.

What's the best way to upgrade the rest of my system so everything is
evenly matched? Price is an issue!

Thanks!
Sam
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

Max you can go is Xp 2400,2600 266mhz if you can find on ,i think,
unless your board is 333 ? then xp 2800 or whatever your boad maxes
out at with your current bios upgrade :)

Knock another half gig in and you should be set for a few years, best
you can do with your system i think.

Is your board a 333 or 266 bus system, if its 333 stick in 512k pc2700
ram not sure if that will make it any speedier or not some other
people will help, they are helpfull here :)

Ive done what i can :)

See ya.


On 23 May 2004 05:27:00 -0700, transgression@hotmail.com (Sam) wrote:

>Hi folks,
>
>I bought a 9800pro 128MB at a good price. The rest of my system is:
>
>xp1800 (overclocked to xp2000 speed)
>K7S5A
>512MB PC2100.
>
>What's the best way to upgrade the rest of my system so everything is
>evenly matched? Price is an issue!
>
>Thanks!
>Sam
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

Iam thinking of getting a 9800 Pro :) just waiting for te new
Nvida,And Ati cards to hit my local shops and the prices to go down by
50% or half even, then i might get one.

The ill just drool over the new cards and wait maybe 2 generations
when the video cards are TRUE real life graphics and Virtual Reaility
has come of ages with the external nueral inplant that allows you
playgames via your own eyes :) or somthing like that.

My system is a Xp 2400, 1 Gig of 2100, 266 fsb and a Radeon 9600 Pro,
i think a 9800 Pro would go good in my system.


On 23 May 2004 05:27:00 -0700, transgression@hotmail.com (Sam) wrote:

>Hi folks,
>
>I bought a 9800pro 128MB at a good price. The rest of my system is:
>
>xp1800 (overclocked to xp2000 speed)
>K7S5A
>512MB PC2100.
>
>What's the best way to upgrade the rest of my system so everything is
>evenly matched? Price is an issue!
>
>Thanks!
>Sam
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

Sam wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I bought a 9800pro 128MB at a good price. The rest of my system is:
>
> xp1800 (overclocked to xp2000 speed)
> K7S5A
> 512MB PC2100.
>
> What's the best way to upgrade the rest of my system so everything is
> evenly matched? Price is an issue!
>
> Thanks!
> Sam

Your Ram is likely to be your bottleneck. I'm not so sure what to tell
you about that, I'm not familiar with that mobo. Can you use PC2700?
PC3200?
McG.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

We Live for the One we Die for the One wrote:
> Iam thinking of getting a 9800 Pro :) just waiting for te new
> Nvida,And Ati cards to hit my local shops and the prices to go down by
> 50% or half even, then i might get one.
>
> The ill just drool over the new cards and wait maybe 2 generations
> when the video cards are TRUE real life graphics and Virtual Reaility
> has come of ages with the external nueral inplant that allows you
> playgames via your own eyes :) or somthing like that.
>
> My system is a Xp 2400, 1 Gig of 2100, 266 fsb and a Radeon 9600 Pro,
> i think a 9800 Pro would go good in my system.

I think it would too. The newer 9800 Pro 128's (mine has Revision F on
it) are a little different in layout. It's no bigger than my Asus GF1
DDR, the HS/Fan are 'normal' looking and not huge blowers with air tubes
etc. It's quiet :) It was only $249.95, full price, at Circuit City
this past Monday :eek:)
McG.

>
>
> On 23 May 2004 05:27:00 -0700, transgression@hotmail.com (Sam) wrote:
>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I bought a 9800pro 128MB at a good price. The rest of my system is:
>>
>> xp1800 (overclocked to xp2000 speed)
>> K7S5A
>> 512MB PC2100.
>>
>> What's the best way to upgrade the rest of my system so everything is
>> evenly matched? Price is an issue!
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Sam
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

"Sam" <transgression@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:61e04a8d.0405230427.29c9e16c@posting.google.com...

" What's the best way to upgrade the rest of my system so everything is
evenly matched? Price is an issue! "


All the K7S5A versions are limited to 266FSB. You could get a 266FSB 2600+,
but they are in short supply. A 2400+ is much easier to come by, and
wouldn't offer a noticeable decrease from the 2600+.

When the X800 XT is released in June, you can expect the price of the 9800
XT to come down alongside the 9800 Pro. It's a bit ridiculous that it costs
more than the X800 Pro at the moment.

Another 512MB PC2100 will set you up for a while, and you can sell your
1800+ and current graphics card on eBay to lighten the load on your wallet.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

"Cuzman" <cuzNOSPAM@supanet.com> wrote in message
news:2hbpseFalohuU1@uni-berlin.de...
>
> All the K7S5A versions are limited to 266FSB. You could get a 266FSB
2600+,
> but they are in short supply. A 2400+ is much easier to come by, and
> wouldn't offer a noticeable decrease from the 2600+.
>
> When the X800 XT is released in June, you can expect the price of the
9800
> XT to come down alongside the 9800 Pro. It's a bit ridiculous that it
costs
> more than the X800 Pro at the moment.
>
> Another 512MB PC2100 will set you up for a while, and you can sell your
> 1800+ and current graphics card on eBay to lighten the load on your
wallet.
>


I agree with this advice completely given that price is an issue.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

Sam, many of use have similar systems .. I have an 1800XP, 512 megs of ram,
Geforce 3 Ti200 ...

Can you please give us some idea of how games are running with your new 9800
PRO?

I would like to pop a new video card into my current system instead of
building a new one.


"Sam" <transgression@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:61e04a8d.0405230427.29c9e16c@posting.google.com...
> Hi folks,
>
> I bought a 9800pro 128MB at a good price. The rest of my system is:
>
> xp1800 (overclocked to xp2000 speed)
> K7S5A
> 512MB PC2100.
>
> What's the best way to upgrade the rest of my system so everything is
> evenly matched? Price is an issue!
>
> Thanks!
> Sam
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

Ram is expensive right now, and 512mb is enough for all games out at the
moment so I wouldn't recommend adding any. I'm doing finw with 512mb in my
xp3200/9800pro system, and I play 1152 4xaa/8xaf for my games with no
problem. you can edit the config file to make games use more meomry in some
games, CoD for ex. I set it to take 256mb ram, it only took 128 for video
by default. Set "hunkmegs" higher in the config file, use notepad to do it.

That board is slower than the nfs boards, I'd sell the whole thing and get a
new board.ram (pc3200) and cpu when possible, all seems to be well balanced
at the moment.

Mike

"We Live for the One we Die for the One" <Mr fred@yahoo.com.au> wrote in
message news:0200b01v71ts2ljsantlqfq3kn6s7gkuee@4ax.com...
>
> Max you can go is Xp 2400,2600 266mhz if you can find on ,i think,
> unless your board is 333 ? then xp 2800 or whatever your boad maxes
> out at with your current bios upgrade :)
>
> Knock another half gig in and you should be set for a few years, best
> you can do with your system i think.
>
> Is your board a 333 or 266 bus system, if its 333 stick in 512k pc2700
> ram not sure if that will make it any speedier or not some other
> people will help, they are helpfull here :)
>
> Ive done what i can :)
>
> See ya.
>
>
> On 23 May 2004 05:27:00 -0700, transgression@hotmail.com (Sam) wrote:
>
> >Hi folks,
> >
> >I bought a 9800pro 128MB at a good price. The rest of my system is:
> >
> >xp1800 (overclocked to xp2000 speed)
> >K7S5A
> >512MB PC2100.
> >
> >What's the best way to upgrade the rest of my system so everything is
> >evenly matched? Price is an issue!
> >
> >Thanks!
> >Sam
>
 

Sam

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2004
866
0
18,980
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

Okay, so on this system...

xp1800 (overclocked to xp2000 speed), 512MB pc2100, K7S5A, 9800PRO.

Painkiller runs very smoothly (to my eyes anything above 40fps is
smooth) at 1024x768 with the highest graphical options selected,
sometimes dipping to less than 15fps for mele combat with lots of
enemies.

UT2004 runs very smoothly at 1024x768 with the highest graphical
options with maybe 5 bots (I get occasional glitches and slowdowns on
higher resolutions on some maps). I've tried the large Onslaught maps
with about 30 bots - but it's very jerky (I guess it's CPU limited
under those circumstances).

Call of Duty runs perfectly with the highest graphical settings at
1024x768 under all conditions.

I get about 4950 points on 3DMark 2003 (although the CPU tests it dips
to 0 fps!), and about 17100 on Aquamark.

Sam

"Frodoh" <joey@joey.com> wrote in message news:<Te4sc.27782$cz5.9297306@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>...
> Sam, many of use have similar systems .. I have an 1800XP, 512 megs of ram,
> Geforce 3 Ti200 ...
>
> Can you please give us some idea of how games are running with your new 9800
> PRO?
>
> I would like to pop a new video card into my current system instead of
> building a new one.
>
>
> "Sam" <transgression@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:61e04a8d.0405230427.29c9e16c@posting.google.com...
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I bought a 9800pro 128MB at a good price. The rest of my system is:
> >
> > xp1800 (overclocked to xp2000 speed)
> > K7S5A
> > 512MB PC2100.
> >
> > What's the best way to upgrade the rest of my system so everything is
> > evenly matched? Price is an issue!
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Sam