[SOLVED] Bought a Laptop cpu from ebay some of the pins is ever so sligthly bent

shadowXXe

Reputable
Jan 7, 2017
Hello i recently purchased a laptop cpu from ebay (i5-2450M) and the guy i bought it from did a horrible job at packing it he literally wrapped it in tissue paper and threw it in the bag and upon receiving i discovered suprise suprise MULTIPLE BENT PINS i have rectified most of them however there are like 3 of them that are bent in such a way where they look like they are where they're supposed to be however upon closer inspection they are like a couple millimeters off (making them extremely hard to fix) anyway what i would like to know is if the cpu will still fit in the socket and work correctly if the pins are ever so slightly off center i mean or if i should just get a refund for the cpu.

Solution
You should have taken pictures of the "wrapping" as soon as you received the product and of the bent pins as soon as you noticed them. Any work you did with them, trying to straighten them lessens your case for returning the product and getting your money back.

I'd say don't do anything more with that processor and try returning it for your money. Only if that fails should you attempt ANY further use of that CPU.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
You should have taken pictures of the "wrapping" as soon as you received the product and of the bent pins as soon as you noticed them. Any work you did with them, trying to straighten them lessens your case for returning the product and getting your money back.

I'd say don't do anything more with that processor and try returning it for your money. Only if that fails should you attempt ANY further use of that CPU.

-Wolf sends

Solution
I would try to make them as straight as possible without risking breaking them (so you still can return it).

If you can't straighten them without breaking them I would just return it.

....but if you can get them reasonably straight....and you can get it to go in the socket easily....I think it will probably work.

....but don't force it in the socket....you will just bend or break pins.

shadowXXe

Reputable
Jan 7, 2017

-Wolf sends
Thanks for the advice I'm opening a return request right now