[SOLVED] Bought a new GPU and CPU. GPU is not being recognized.

Oct 16, 2020
Hello, i have a really old pc so i decided to do a little upgrade

My old specs:
CPU: Intel pentium G4560
GPU: Zotac Nvidia GT 740
RAM: 1x 8GB DDR4 2400
MOBO: MSI H110M PRO-VH PLUS
PSU: Thermaltake TR2 430W

New Specs:
CPU: Intel i5 7600
GPU: Yeston Nvidia GTX 1650
PSU, RAM and MOBO are the same.

The thing is that when i powered up the pc the GPU was not being recognized, i tried almost everything but installing clean windows. Deleted old drivers, checked Everything, installed again, checked bios settings, updated bios, updated windows, but it could only work through the Integrated graphics.

I tried using my old GPU and it also didn't work. The GPU only powers up but is not being recognized by neither the bios or device manager.

So i thought maybe the PCI port Broke, i was already searching for a new Mobo but then i tried changing the CPU for the old one and the new card got immediately recognized, so is not the motherboard either.

Do you think the CPU could be faulty?.
I'm trying to not format my computer, do you think installing clean windows could help?.

Solution
Since you did not change the motherboard you should not need to reinstall windows.

Everything works if you install the old CPU.

Old and new CPU takes the same BIOS version. EDIT V14

That really only leaves the CPU.

I would say try resenting CMOS but that should of been done auto when you updated the BIOS.

Still nothing to loose reset CMOS since you had the old CPU in when you updated.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Since you did not change the motherboard you should not need to reinstall windows.

Everything works if you install the old CPU.

Old and new CPU takes the same BIOS version. EDIT V14

That really only leaves the CPU.

I would say try resenting CMOS but that should of been done auto when you updated the BIOS.

Still nothing to loose reset CMOS since you had the old CPU in when you updated.

Last edited:
Solution

InvalidError

Titan
If your BIOS updated correctly and resetting BIOS to make sure the motherboard re-trains everything does not help, then the CPU does appear to be the most likely problem since you have already confirmed that everything else appears to be working fine with your old CPU.