[SOLVED] Bought a new GPU but it's fitted with a water block and I've not got water cooling..

Mar 11, 2021
Not sure whether to water cool and get parts slowly.. fan cool to get parts faster.. or sell gpu altogether. But it sounds like a good old GPU?

I bought it on ebay it's a MSI GTX 980ti gaming OC 6gb. Boxed. Great condition. I have the newer msi 1050ti in a new computer I just built. Didnt realise at the time the older one is better and I should swap it over. Even the 1050ti is great.

Thing is the 980ti has a water block fitted and no previous fan enclosure with it. It has the water block box. Model EK-FC980GTXTI TF5... . No instructions with that. I've seen people fit them on the card at YouTube but havnt seen all the rest on adding the tube loops and water etc.. Sounds like too much drama I don't need.

I hear I should take it apart anyway to make sure it's clean? Put new paste on it also I guesss

My options are to either get the rest of the cooling parts over time... Or just buy the original fans and radiator cover from China.. as that's the only place I've seen one today. 50-60£..

I don't need to overvlock either so do you think it's best I just get the fans and save hassle and cash? I could literally fry my pc introducing water wrongly 😄

Also is this card OK for my system and power supply in the first place? It's 550wat cv corsair.. The 980ti box says 600 minimum. I read it will still work though.

Rest of system specs are..

Msi gaming plus x570
Ryzen 5 3600
16gb
Corsair icue 4000 case.
msi 1050ti

Cheers
Brian,

Solution
Try to find an original air cooler for it. Custom water cooling is not an area where going with cheap parts is a good idea. Can leak or have other problems.

Cv550 will run it, probably, but I wouldn't. It's a low end group regulated unit with what was a very power hungry flagship card. So an upgrade there would be a good idea.
Try to find an original air cooler for it. Custom water cooling is not an area where going with cheap parts is a good idea. Can leak or have other problems.

Cv550 will run it, probably, but I wouldn't. It's a low end group regulated unit with what was a very power hungry flagship card. So an upgrade there would be a good idea.

Solution
Mar 11, 2021
OK thanks I have the original cooler in my cart brand new. Il grab that and get a 7-800 watt modular psu to cover any future upgrade. Or maybe il build another computer with it.

Mar 11, 2021
I can get a new RMX 750 or 800 they have those at my usual source. I see they use magnetic levitation👌 😏

Il be glad to get rid of the cv and those messy hard wires either way if this all works or not with the gpu.

Cheers folks

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Thanks but I can't see anyones sig, where are they ? Am new here. I doubt it's because I'm on a mobile phone? Il get on my pc later. Im used to seeing sigs in the bottom of a comment on other forums.

The RMX models are excellent, and I would recommend them.

As for the links, they are:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/goto/post?id=21736677

Reactions: Illuminateme
Mar 11, 2021
OK so I have the radiator now brand new from China. I've tested how it fits. Seems great. 4 springy screws supplied with thermal paste. It was already pasted neatly in a square but I removed it when testing it fits. The 2 wires are a bit tricky but il do it later.

The GPU still has the heat pads from under the water block on the chips . They are thin so are they good enough or should I buy new thicker stuff? I read somewhere they should be thicker for fans than water blocks?