Question Bought a new graphic card (rx 580), but nothing really changed. Bottleneck/power shortage?

Oct 16, 2019
Hello,

I am a total PC newbie, but from what I gathered the upgrade to the RX580 should have been a good choice and improve performance for games dramatically.
I just received the card, plugged it in, but there isn't much difference. So I am wondering why that may be. I was thinking it could be either my power supply isn't strong enough, my CPU for some reason bottlenecks or... well I actually have no idea.

Would appreciate any help or tips, because I am kinda lost on why my system isn't performing. Thanks!

P.S.: I also noticed that sometimes my screen goes black for like a second, since I plugged in my new card today. Could this be an issue of the power supply being not strong enough?

These are my specs:

Monitor: 1080p 60hz
GPU: Geforce GTX 960 2GB / Now switched to a RX 580 8GB Nitro+
CPU: i7-2600 @ 3.40GHz
RAM: 12GB DDR3
Motherboard: Gigabyte P67A D3 B3 (probabaly)
Power supply: xilence xp500r7 (500W)
Still using Windows 7 for now

Oct 16, 2019
Yes, it's on the x16 slot on the top.
For example, in the game Archeage Unchained I get 20-55 fps. It varies pretty strong, but the only difference I noticed is that it is on average maybe a bit higher.
But I don't think I should have this low fps for an old game like that. There seems to be an issue, but I just have no idea what.

Oct 16, 2019
As you mentioned drivers, I just tried to update my CPU drivers here, just to make sure I have the latest version:: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/do...s-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-64-bit?product=52213
However, when I run it, I am getting an error, saying my system doesn't fulfill the minimum requirement for this software.
EDIT: Downloaded the intel driver assistant and it seems everything is up-to-date.
EDIT2: Tested other games like Monster Hunter and For Honor and they work great. So it seems the problem is just with Archeage. Not sure why that would be though.

Last edited:
I didn't uninstall the Nvidia drivers. I only downloaded the Radeon Software Adrealin 2019.
The card does show up in the device manager and also in my HWinfo programm. Here is the picture of both: View: https://imgur.com/a/qrjcrxv

View: https://imgur.com/a/bK2pfVN

the drivers coul;d still be conflicting with each other in some way. i would recommend to download a copy of DDU display driver uninstaller to wipe all traces of both radeon and NVIDIA drivers off your P{C and install a fresh copy of the drivers for your radeon GPU. this will determine if it is a driver problem or not

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Oct 16, 2019
Hello,

I have just gotten a new graphic card (RX580) and now my PC shuts down while playing games. I am pretty sure that's due to the power supply (not strong enough), so I want to get a new one.
However, I have no idea which ones are good or which ones even work with my PC. I checked out the excel sheet on the top, but I just don't know what to look out for.
How do I know which ones will fit in my PC case? And which ones will work with my motherboard etc.?
Here are my specs, would be great if you could enlighten me on some of these questions and maybe even suggest a PSU. :)

EDIT: btw. I had my eyes on this one Thermaltake Toughpower DPS 750W (TPG-0750D / TPG-750DH3CTG)
It's just tier 3 on the sheet though. But as I said, I don't even know if it would fit.
Just found a tier 1 for around 30€ more which would be this one:
Corsair RM750x (2018) (RPS-0109 / 75-003444 / CP-9020179)
Anyone knows if that would fit? I assume I have a "standard" PC tower.

Monitor: 1080p 60hz

GPU: RX 580 Nitro+ 8GB

CPU: i7-2600 @ 3.40GHz

RAM: 12GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte P67A D3 B3

Power supply: xilence xp500r7 (500W)

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2019
Watch the language
I used DDU and it showed me 3 different Nvidia drivers. Removed them all and now the new graphic cards works like a charm. I do have a power supply issue now though, as it doesn't seem to be strong enough.
So for now I put back my old graphic card which actually works WAY better now than before. These old drivers really Removed with my PC it seems :/

Last edited by a moderator: