Question Bought a new MOBO and CPU. Need help!

FusionCrayfish

Reputable
Jul 18, 2017
Hey all,

So as the title says I bought a new motherboard for my gaming PC. It's an MSi Z390 Pro and along with it I bought a new CPU which is an Intel i7-9700k. So I'm doing my thing, removing the old motherboard (which is also an MSi B250 model in case that's important) and I install the GPU, CPU, RAM, etc into the new mobo. Everything went in fine. No issues. That is until I turned the PC on. I was greeted by the "Preparing Automatic Repair" loop screen which would freeze after about 5-10 seconds every time I tried booting. If I spammed F10 I could get to BIOS but that's as far as I could go.

After about 2 hours of watching youtube tutorials on how to fix the issue (none of them even described the issue I was having) and googling for an answer I decided to just call it quits and put the old motherboard and CPU back in. Upon doing so and to my dismay I was not getting any display from my GPU or from my old MOBO with the HDMI cord hooked directly to it and the GPU taken out. So I tried pulling a stick of RAM and I restarted the PC and it booted up just fine. Now to clarify my PC was running perfectly fine yesterday. I was playing games on it no issues.

Thinking that the issue with the new MOBO was that same stick of RAM, I took everything out from the old motherboard again and put it in the new one this time without the stick of RAM I suspected to be causing the mischief. Same issue as before. Stuck in the loop.

Once again installed the old MOBO and parts and here I am typing this post. I might add that it's not one of the sticks of RAM that is faulty, its the slot apparently. I tested both in the slot that works and have had no issues.

So aside from having a bad RAM slot in the old motherboard, can anyone give me an idea of what might be wrong with the new one? Should I have installed software onto my HDD prior to putting the new CPU and MOBO in? Or is it possible that the new MOBO is just faulty?

Specs in-case needed

GPU - RTX 2080
CPU - i7-6700k (old) i7-9700k (new0
RAM - 16GB DDR4
MOBO - MSi B250 Gaming Pro (old) MSi Z390 Pro (new)
OS - Windows 10 64 bit

FusionCrayfish

Reputable
Jul 18, 2017
Just reinstall windows with the new components installed.
Tried the reinstall and put the new stuff in and I’m now getting to the “Installing Windows 10 this will take a while your PC will restart several times” screen. The little dots go in a circle a few times and then it freezes and shuts off. Once again at a loss. Doesn’t get past 0%.

Windows 10 reinstalled on the one HDD I have plugged into the PC/MOBO. It just freezes at the boot screen or the automatic repair screen now. I can still get to BIOS but other than that i can’t do anything. Starting to think maybe the MOBO itself is shot?
When you installed windows 10, were you able to see the drive (in the wizard) to then select that drive to install windows on? If so i'd be inclined to try a different drive, or plug the drive into a different sata port. Is it m.2?

FusionCrayfish

Reputable
Jul 18, 2017
When you installed windows 10, were you able to see the drive (in the wizard) to then select that drive to install windows on? If so i'd be inclined to try a different drive, or plug the drive into a different sata port. Is it m.2?

I can’t even install Windows 10. I turn on the PC and it freezes or goes into the loop and freezes.