[SOLVED] bought a new pair of ram and have a problem booting up - need help

Jul 18, 2021
Story time: I first bought 2 ram sticks XPG 3200mh (8x2) and they ran just fine onA-XMP profile 2.
So I waited 6 months before buying another pair of the same model from the same store. Had problem booting up and after troubleshooting, i noticed that they had different timings. Now, i dont know which one is the new pair, but one pair have 18-18-20, while the other is 16-20-20.

My problem is that i cant run my memory on 3200 now. For my system to boot up, i have to leave my A-XMP off and it runs at 2666MH

(im pretty sure that back then, my profile1 had 3000mh settings, but after i updated something long ago, both profiles 1 and 2 now have similar 3200mh and 18-20-20)

I tried swapping the pairs on different dimm slots but still wont work on either profiles(yes i did try both profiles 1 and 2 despite them having the same configs) but again, the only way my system boots up, is when i leave A-XMP off., or if i just use the pair that has 18-20-20 timing, thats when i can boot up with profile 1/2 at 3200.

i hope i made sense. please dont be too technical as im by no means an expert of any of these.

thank you in advance.

Solution
Story time: I first bought 2 ram sticks XPG 3200mh (8x2) and they ran just fine onA-XMP profile 2.
So I waited 6 months before buying another pair of the same model from the same store. Had problem booting up and after troubleshooting, i noticed that they had different timings. Now, i dont know which one is the new pair, but one pair have 18-18-20, while the other is 16-20-20.

My problem is that i cant run my memory on 3200 now. For my system to boot up, i have to leave my A-XMP off and it runs at 2666MH

(im pretty sure that back then, my profile1 had 3000mh settings, but after i updated something long ago, both profiles 1 and 2 now have similar 3200mh and 18-20-20)

I tried swapping the pairs on different dimm slots but still...

I tried swapping the pairs on different dimm slots but still wont work on either profiles(yes i did try both profiles 1 and 2 despite them having the same configs) but again, the only way my system boots up, is when i leave A-XMP off., or if i just use the pair that has 18-20-20 timing, thats when i can boot up with profile 1/2 at 3200.

i hope i made sense. please dont be too technical as im by no means an expert of any of these.

thank you in advance.
Made simce to me you bought 3000MHz ram the first go around.
The second time though you bought 3200MHz ram...
Can't run that in xmp 3200. Sorry noo worky...
See your teying to force to different ram speeds to both run 3200MHz but one set will need ocing help to hit that mark since it's base speed is 3000... To hit 3200 it will need you to set the ram timing on the first set to match the second set your self... Or use ai oc tuner have it do it on its own but this isn't for the faint of heart. Can go bad fast either way... Easest way to run this system is at 3000MHz "xmp profile1 most likely" seeing as the mobo should already know this itself

Your best option at this point is order another set of 3200MHz and sell the 3000MHz

Solution
Jul 18, 2021
Made simce to me you bought 3000MHz ram the first go around.
The second time though you bought 3200MHz ram...
Can't run that in xmp 3200. Sorry noo worky...
See your teying to force to different ram speeds to both run 3200MHz but one set will need ocing help to hit that mark since it's base speed is 3000... To hit 3200 it will need you to set the ram timing on the first set to match the second set your self... Or use ai oc tuner have it do it on its own but this isn't for the faint of heart. Can go bad fast either way... Easest way to run this system is at 3000MHz "xmp profile1 most likely" seeing as the mobo should already know this itself

Your best option at this point is order another set of 3200MHz and sell the 3000MHz
both are 3200. both stickers have the exact same everything, voltage and all, just the timings are different.

Even 2 exact same kits are not guaranteed to work together. Only RAM bought as a single matched kit is guaranteed to work together. See the odd man out section here https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...y-ram-and-xmp-profile-configurations.3398926/

You can try increasing the voltage or loosening the timings and you might get a higher frequency to be stable. You are already doing well, there was a chance that mixing these 2 kits the system would not even boot.

Jul 18, 2021
Even 2 exact same kits are not guaranteed to work together. Only RAM bought as a single matched kit is guaranteed to work together. See the odd man out section here https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...y-ram-and-xmp-profile-configurations.3398926/

You can try increasing the voltage or loosening the timings and you might get a higher frequency to be stable. You are already doing well, there was a chance that mixing these 2 kits the system would not even boot.
thank you, which one is a better timing tho? the 18-18-20 or the 16-20-20?

Jul 18, 2021
I believe the 16-20-20 should be due to lower CL (16)

Thank you, ill try to manually set this... but imma leave it for tomorrow, im knackered today and from my experience, its not as easy as flicking switches, theres always a chain of problems and i really cant get any more stressed today.

Thank you for the input guys/gals. i really appreciate the fast replies. ill keep you thread posted

Jul 18, 2021
Update. so my dumbass got the numbers all wrong coz they were all based off of my memory (pun intended).
on the stickers, it sez 16-18-18 on my first pair, and 16-20-20 on my new pair.
Both pairs work just fine individually (as a pair) on A-XMP profiles.
Theyre being read as 16-18-18-36 and 16-20-20-38 (i dont know where those 36 and 38 numbers came from but thats what the software sez on the profiles)

So now, the 16-20-20s are in dimm slots 2nd and 4th, while the 16-18-18s are on 1st and 3rd
A-XMP profiles 1/2 doesnt matter theyre both 3200mh with 16-20-20-38 timings.
it booted up fine so far. now, im testing to see if i encounter any related problems. ill update once i do

Reactions: white.a.drew

TRENDING THREADS