[SOLVED] Bought a new PC, internet goes to the gutter.

Nov 26, 2020
Hi, not too sure if there's a certain way to format this or anything but, I recently bought a prebuilt PC (specs can be seen here) it arrived today, and since I set it up my internet has turned into hot garbage. At first I thought maybe it just needs to like, warm up? And surprisingly it did actually get better. Yet then later on it dropped significantly again with download speeds as low as 10Mb/minute, which compared to how my internet has been constantly before this is abysmal. So I wanted to know, could this maybe be due to something with the PC's hardware? Maybe my internet provider? I'm not too sure of the package that we have, but I know that my ISP is Sky. I should be getting 30Mb/s. The PC came with a N10 Nano Wireless Adapter could it maybe be something to do with that? My old PC (as far as I know) didn't have a USB Adapter and I don't use Ethernet either due to the router being a bit away from the PC. Honestly I just don't understand what's happened. If there's any information I could give to be of help please ask :)

Solution
Not sure what reputable company would use those tiny USB devices on a desktop. They are designed for portable equipment where small size and low battery use is important. The trade off is they have small antenna and low power radios.

Desktop machines should be using PCIe cards. These generally output full power and have large external antenna.

I would try a USB extension cable to move the nano thing away from the computer. These devices already have small antenna and when you almost place it inside a metal box the antenna are being blocked even more.
Not sure what reputable company would use those tiny USB devices on a desktop. They are designed for portable equipment where small size and low battery use is important. The trade off is they have small antenna and low power radios.

Desktop machines should be using PCIe cards. These generally output full power and have large external antenna.

I would try a USB extension cable to move the nano thing away from the computer. These devices already have small antenna and when you almost place it inside a metal box the antenna are being blocked even more.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
Solution