[SOLVED] Bought a refurbished XFX RX580 4gb, No display when installed?

Jul 25, 2020
Hey, I just bought a refurbished XFX RX580 4gb video card to replace my old ASUS GTX 560. But the thing is, I installed the GPU, 8 pin are connected, used HDMI for cable. When I power on, It boots, Got a light from the gpu, fans are working, but there is no display on my monitor. Tried Disabling the Integrated Graphics, but still not working. But when I plugged back my GTX 560, It works fine. I need help, anyone???

Specs:
CPU: Intel Pentium G4400 3.30Ghz
MOBO: MSI B250m Bazooka
RAM: 8gb 2x4(2133&2600mhz)
GPU: Asus GTX 560(Old)
PSU: 450W True rated

Solution
Yes I tried it on XFX RX580, I ran Integrated Graphics with that GPU attached, No it doesn't show up on dxdiag. Haven't tried it aorus though. And also, my RAM Channels 1&2 are not working, they're not reading my ram stick so Im using channel 3&4 if it does any help with the problem. Also, I Uninstalled NVIDIA driver before plugging in my XFX RX580 back then.

Well, if your OS isn't recognizing either the 570 or the 580, it seems like you might have something wrong with your motherboard after all. The fact that two of your RAM channels are broken as well seems to reinforce that. You can't run your ram in dual channel mode unless you stagger the sticks in channels 1 & 3 or 2 & 4, so its also holding you back in that way as well...
Jul 25, 2020
Just making sure, you're plugging the HDMI cable into the back of the RX 580, not the HDMI output of your motherboard, correct?

Also, your PSU probably isn't up for the RX 580, AMD recommends a 500 watt power supply: Link
Yes HDMI on to the back of my rx580. And yes, even if it requires a minimum 500 watts, my gpu has power and i think 450w should be enough for a display

What is the brand, model and age of your PSU?

FYI I'm not trying to sound like a jerk, I really am not, but your GPU doesn't care whether or not you think your PSU is good enough.

The RX 580 is a very power-hungry card and older/cheaper PSUs often are unable to actually provide the power they advertise. If your PSU is old, cheap, or underpowered (or more than one of these) your GPU more than likely won't function well, or at least not for very long.

Ask anyone else who has been on these forums for a while, they'll tell you the same thing.

Jul 25, 2020
It's okay dude, though i do forgot the brand of my PSU, All i know that its a 450 watt true rated. Maybe it's my PSU though, Can't think of anything else, But Ive seen that 450 watts on a RX 570 is too much then i though hey, maybe it could run a RX580. Wasn't it supposed to have a display atleast?

You might think so, but I really don't know; I'm a hardware enthusiast, not an electrician lol and it's harder to make an educated guess without knowing the model or age of your PSU.

It could be either your graphics card or your PSU. Personally, if I was trying to figure out the problem, I'd take advantage of amazon.com's 30 days no questions asked returns policy and buy a new PSU, such as a Corsair CX 550M (Link).

If it fixes the problem, great. If there is no difference, your GPU is probably defective (it is refurbished after all, it might be no good). After returning the GPU and getting a replacement, try the replacement GPU with your old power supply; if everything works fine, you can return the CX 550M and get all your money back.

Think of the new PSU as a risk-free undertaking, because by buying it you either fix the problem or diagnose the problem at no net cost to you; either way, you win.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2020
That's a great idea bro. So I'll be changing my PSU to a much stronger PSU then. So It's only two things, I have a weak PSU or maybe i got a defective gpu. Couldn't think of anything else that causes this no display function on my GPU. Thanks mate, your help is highly appreciated.

DSzymborski

Titan
It's okay dude, though i do forgot the brand of my PSU, All i know that its a 450 watt true rated. Maybe it's my PSU though, Can't think of anything else, But Ive seen that 450 watts on a RX 570 is too much then i though hey, maybe it could run a RX580. Wasn't it supposed to have a display atleast?

There's nothing such as a "too much" wattage. A 450W is a maximum wattage, not something it's delivering at all times. I'm not sure where you read that this is a thing, because it's not.

You would really need to identify your exact PSU to get much in the way of specific advice. "True rated" doesn't actually mean anything. Well, anything good; "true rated" is one of those odd, meaningless promotional phrases that you see slapped on extremely low-quality PSUs, especially those released by dodgy companies preying on people in non-Western countries. You won't see such an odd turn of phrase on the quality PSUs sold by Corsair, Seasonic, Antec, Bitfenix, etc.

Reactions: RTX 2080
That's a great idea bro. So I'll be changing my PSU to a much stronger PSU then. So It's only two things, I have a weak PSU or maybe i got a defective gpu. Couldn't think of anything else that causes this no display function on my GPU. Thanks mate, your help is highly appreciated.

Any time.

Feel free to let me know how it goes, I like gaining experience in determining the solutions to these things.

Jul 25, 2020
Any time.

Feel free to let me know how it goes, I like gaining experience in determining the solutions to these things.
Dude I changed my GPU and bought Aorus RX570 4gb Instead, tested it on another system and it works fine. But on my system, It still does not work, I even tried Corsair 750w, Still no display. But the thing is, if this is a motherboard issue, Why can I run my GTX560 on my PCie slot? And still works fine. Also, I returned the XFX RX580 and it just worked fine on their system.

Last edited:
Dude I changed my GPU and bought Aorus RX570 4gb Instead, tested it on another system and it works fine. But on my system, It still does not work, I even tried Corsair 750w, Still no display. But the thing is, if this is a motherboard issue, Why can I run my GTX560 on my PCie slot? And still works fine. Also, I returned the XFX RX580 and it just worked fine on their system.

Huh, that's trippy all right.

Well it doesn't seem likely to be the GPU or PSU anymore, which leaves the motherboard as the main potential culprit. But it works with your old Nvidia GPU, so maybe its some kind of a driver problem? I'm out of my element now, I can only make guesses. Have you tried running your PC on integrated graphics with the 570 installed to see if your OS recognizes it? If you can do that and it does, uninstall your Nvidia drivers and install AMD drivers for it. If its not recognized by your OS, then maybe you do have a motherboard problem.

Jul 25, 2020
Huh, that's trippy all right.

Well it doesn't seem likely to be the GPU or PSU anymore, which leaves the motherboard as the main potential culprit. But it works with your old Nvidia GPU, so maybe its some kind of a driver problem? I'm out of my element now, I can only make guesses. Have you tried running your PC on integrated graphics with the 570 installed to see if your OS recognizes it? If you can do that and it does, uninstall your Nvidia drivers and install AMD drivers for it. If its not recognized by your OS, then maybe you do have a motherboard problem.
Yes I tried it on XFX RX580, I ran Integrated Graphics with that GPU attached, No it doesn't show up on dxdiag. Haven't tried it aorus though. And also, my RAM Channels 1&2 are not working, they're not reading my ram stick so Im using channel 3&4 if it does any help with the problem. Also, I Uninstalled NVIDIA driver before plugging in my XFX RX580 back then.

Well, if your OS isn't recognizing either the 570 or the 580, it seems like you might have something wrong with your motherboard after all. The fact that two of your RAM channels are broken as well seems to reinforce that. You can't run your ram in dual channel mode unless you stagger the sticks in channels 1 & 3 or 2 & 4, so its also holding you back in that way as well. Bummer.

The last thing I would suggest outside of purchasing a new motherboard would be a) trying to run your GPU in a different PCIe slot (if you have one) or b) reinstalling Windows.

Solution
Jul 25, 2020
Well, if your OS isn't recognizing either the 570 or the 580, it seems like you might have something wrong with your motherboard after all. The fact that two of your RAM channels are broken as well seems to reinforce that. You can't run your ram in dual channel mode unless you stagger the sticks in channels 1 & 3 or 2 & 4, so its also holding you back in that way as well. Bummer.

The last thing I would suggest outside of purchasing a new motherboard would be a) trying to run your GPU in a different PCIe slot (if you have one) or b) reinstalling Windows.
Well it seems that my last resort would be reinstalling windows since i bought a new m.2 ssd. If it does not work, I might consider getting a new motherboard which sucks btw. But anyway, Ill try what you suggest dude, thank you very much for your help.

Well it seems that my last resort would be reinstalling windows since i bought a new m.2 ssd. If it does not work, I might consider getting a new motherboard which sucks btw. But anyway, Ill try what you suggest dude, thank you very much for your help.

Yeah, at this point you'll basically be building a new PC lol: a new motherboard is going to require a new CPU as well as DDR4 RAM. Add to that your new PSU, GPU and SSD, you've basically got yourself a new PC!

I was hoping it wasn't your motherboard, but at the same time your current CPU is hopelessly underpowered by any measure (they make $350 laptops with more powerful CPUs) and you'll be a lot better off with something more modern.

Let me know how it goes.

Jul 25, 2020
Yeah, at this point you'll basically be building a new PC lol: a new motherboard is going to require a new CPU as well as DDR4 RAM. Add to that your new PSU, GPU and SSD, you've basically got yourself a new PC!

I was hoping it wasn't your motherboard, but at the same time your current CPU is hopelessly underpowered by any measure (they make $350 laptops with more powerful CPUs) and you'll be a lot better off with something more modern.

Let me know how it goes.
Dude, quick question, should i get an i3-10100 with z490 board or an i5-10400 with b460m wifi board? These two are only on my budget actually, so I only have to choose between these two. What do you think?

So the i5-10400 is far superior to the i3-10100, the problem is that the i5-10400 needs a z490 board to reach its full potential; if you drop it in a b-series board, the stock TDP limit will be enforced and it won't boost as high as it can.

At your price point I would actually steer you in the direction of AMD/Ryzen CPUs. Intel's main strength lies in the high boost clocks achieved by it's more expensive processors; this is completely irrelevant for your needs because:

a) You need an expensive k-series processor for that (i5-10600k for example)
b) You need an expensive z490 motherboard
c) Even having spent all that money, its completely unnecessary for your purposes because you're just targeting 1080p 60 fps gaming.

The point is, in your price bracket AMD makes better CPUs for less money. The Ryzen 5 3600 is a 6 core 12 thread processor like the i5-10400, but it costs a bit less, is up to 20% faster in various productivity benchmarks, and doesn't need an expensive motherboard to live up to its potential. The cooler included in the box is a bit better as well. Pair it with some 3200 MHz or 3600 MHz RAM (Ryzen processors love faster RAM) and you'll have a very solid setup that'll scale well in the years to come.

Jul 25, 2020
Thank you very much dude, On second thought maybe I am getting myself an AMD cpu. I've done a lot of research and it turns out that AMD is good. Thank you very much bro

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 25, 2020
No problem, let me know what you decide on! More cores and threads are always better if you can afford it.
Dude, I just bought a ryzen 3 3300x and my aorus rx570 worked perfectly! The problem is, I am using a tv as monitor and it is overscanned,(common problem i think), but when i try to scale it using Radeon settings (HDMI scaling) and set it to fit the screen, my display seems a bit slower than before, then I restarted my pc, (hope it will resolve the issue) but it led me to windows repair boot loop, after several attempts to fix it, i finally got into windows but my drivers were completely erased. Any clue how to solve this dude?

Dude, I just bought a ryzen 3 3300x and my aorus rx570 worked perfectly! The problem is, I am using a tv as monitor and it is overscanned,(common problem i think), but when i try to scale it using Radeon settings (HDMI scaling) and set it to fit the screen, my display seems a bit slower than before, then I restarted my pc, (hope it will resolve the issue) but it led me to windows repair boot loop, after several attempts to fix it, i finally got into windows but my drivers were completely erased. Any clue how to solve this dude?

Yo, congratulations on it finally working! It only took almost a month and almost a whole new PC worth of parts lol.

I had no idea you were using a TV as your monitor. If I plug my laptop into my TV via HDMI, I get the overscanning problem same as you. I've never tried to fix it though, as I only plug it in to watch movies. I did find an article that might help. Most of it doesn't apply to you, but the first part about adjusting your TV settings looks promising.

Jul 25, 2020
Yo, congratulations on it finally working! It only took almost a month and almost a whole new PC worth of parts lol.

I had no idea you were using a TV as your monitor. If I plug my laptop into my TV via HDMI, I get the overscanning problem same as you. I've never tried to fix it though, as I only plug it in to watch movies. I did find an article that might help. Most of it doesn't apply to you, but the first part about adjusting your TV settings looks promising.

Thank you very much dude, hope i can fix it

TRENDING THREADS