[SOLVED] Bought a used i5 3570 that is getting too hot

Absolute.Red

Commendable
Jun 17, 2020
So when i got the cpu delivered, it had some burn like marks on 3 or 4 of the contacts but it wasn't that bad. So i plugged it in and computer booted up just fine. Cpu-z shows everything good. Benchmark is giving accurate rating but when i stress test, the cpu gets 100+ degrees and doesn't seem to throttle the clock speed. I am getting 3.9 to 4.1 ghz boost clock when stress testing or playing games. Is this normal?
I am using my old stock cooler that i got with an i3 3220, which was working just fine with the i3. Like i was getting max 70degrees on i3 while stress testing.

I have ordered some good thermal compound and i will put that on when it arrives but til then i am using some old cooler master thermal compound. Is that the problem?
Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
So when i got the cpu delivered, it had some burn like marks on 3 or 4 of the contacts but it wasn't that bad. So i plugged it in and computer booted up just fine. Cpu-z shows everything good. Benchmark is giving accurate rating but when i stress test, the cpu gets 100+ degrees and doesn't seem to throttle the clock speed. I am getting 3.9 to 4.1 ghz boost clock when stress testing or playing games. Is this normal?
I am using my old stock cooler that i got with an i3 3220, which was working just fine with the i3. Like i was getting max 70degrees on i3 while stress testing.

I have ordered some good thermal compound and i will put that on when it arrives but til then i am using some old cooler master thermal compound. Is that the...

I have ordered some good thermal compound and i will put that on when it arrives but til then i am using some old cooler master thermal compound. Is that the problem?
Any help would be appreciated.
you need a new cooler.|
The cooler is to weak for the i5.
I had a i3 3240 and wanted to use that cooler for i3 on i7 3770,and everyone on this site told me that the i7 would get 100+C hot and it would shut down.

Solution

Absolute.Red

Commendable
Jun 17, 2020
you need a new cooler.|
The cooler is to weak for the i5.
I had a i3 3240 and wanted to use that cooler for i3 on i7 3770,and everyone on this site told me that the i7 would get 100+C hot and it would shut down.
Ok.
Thanks for that.
Would this cooler be sufficient?

Ok.
Thanks for that.
Would this cooler be sufficient?
it good,for a budget cooler.
it will without a doubt outperform your i3 cooler.
Although you can get a scythe mugen which is much better than T20,T20 is still good.
Mugen is 158mm high though so keep that in mind.
Ill say go for T20,but if you case fits the size of a MUGEN go for MUGEN.
Also mugen isnt like above 40-50$ if not cheaper than 30$.

Edit:
This is the link to SCYTHE MUGEN REV. 3 : http://www.scythe-eu.com/en/products/cpu-cooler/mugen-3-rev-b.html

Absolute.Red

Commendable
Jun 17, 2020
it good,for a budget cooler.
it will without a doubt outperform your i3 cooler.
Although you can get a scythe mugen which is much better than T20,T20 is still good.
Mugen is 158mm high though so keep that in mind.
Ill say go for T20,but if you case fits the size of a MUGEN go for MUGEN.
Also mugen isnt like above 40-50$ if not cheaper than 30$.

Edit:
This is the link to SCYTHE MUGEN REV. 3 : http://www.scythe-eu.com/en/products/cpu-cooler/mugen-3-rev-b.html
It looks great but not available in my country.

Reactions: Dj0gany