Question Bought a used laptop. Nice specs, but it's janky. Weirdly inconsistent, jumpy, and laggy...esp when watching a video (even a downloaded one)

May 12, 2021
View: https://imgur.com/a/5STwFho

The first pic is when Chrome was open. The second pic is after I'd closed Chrome. The third pic is obviously the computer specs. I've never seen memory below I believe 43%, even with no programs open (except those in the background obviously)

I know Chrome is a resource hog. Windows Defender (Antimalware Service Executable) is always running and taking up a lot of resources, but that doesn't really explain the problem.

This processor is one that has built-in turbo. It's supposed to ramp up when required, and ramp down when not. I'm not sure what the problem is (bad cpu or something?), but I know it isn't working right.

I've run every test in HP Support Assistant, with no success. I've done all the Windows updates, including the optional/drivers.

May 12, 2021
how full is the ssd?
check the cpu temp?

I don't have the laptop in front of me right now. But:

SSD: I factory reset the computer twice, and removed bloatware. So it's even emptier than it was upon factory reset
CPU Temp: I'm not sure, but there hasn't been an issue with the fan running "too much". That said, what's the best way to check CPU temp?

May 12, 2021
So you performed reset.
Did you install all the necessary drivers after that?

Go to laptop manufacturer support site, download drivers and install.
Yes. I've done all Windows updates, installed all drivers via Windows update, and installed all remaining drivers thru HP Support Assistant (possibly except for one I/O driver that may or may not actually be updating properly).

May 12, 2021
The G1 version of that CPU doesn't have the best built-in GPU.
Are you running videos on an external monitor? What's the resolution of the attached monitor?
I run the laptop to a TV (this is what I've done with all my computers for a decade). The resolution of the TV is either 720p or 1080i...I forget which. It isn't the best TV. But the TV just displays what the computer is doing. The computer hangs, freezes, "forgets" that the left mouse button is being held during click n dragging sometimes, etc etc, It does this the same whether I have it connected to the TV, or unplugged and using the laptop monitor. No change.

To be clear, the issue isn't only with video. The issue is that the computer can't handle basic usage without being janky...mouse jumping, etc. This is bizarre considering it's basically new and has good specs. It does it on and off all of the time, but the problem is much more noticeable the more operations the computer is having to perform. Chrome open? The computer will be janky. Video playing? Very much yes. etc.

8GB of RAM is not enough, add at least another 8GB. You should remove or disable any software you are not using, there is a lot of bloatware and telemetry in Windows 10. Note that there are different versions of Windows 10 and where to find something may be in different places or with different names or not available, thank Microsoft. There are different optimizing methods for this, this person is highly reliable and produces YouTube videos for optimal performance, several videos here, pick the one or ones for your version of Windows 10:

Optimize Windows 10 TechYesCity - YouTube

PrateekPanwar646

Reputable
Jun 16, 2019
View: https://imgur.com/a/5STwFho

The first pic is when Chrome was open. The second pic is after I'd closed Chrome. The third pic is obviously the computer specs. I've never seen memory below I believe 43%, even with no programs open (except those in the background obviously)

I know Chrome is a resource hog. Windows Defender (Antimalware Service Executable) is always running and taking up a lot of resources, but that doesn't really explain the problem.

This processor is one that has built-in turbo. It's supposed to ramp up when required, and ramp down when not. I'm not sure what the problem is (bad cpu or something?), but I know it isn't working right.

I've run every test in HP Support Assistant, with no success. I've done all the Windows updates, including the optional/drivers.
Something looks wrong on last pic, Your cpu runs at 1ghz. Search how to open it's BIOS (called uefi in new systems) and reset bios to default settings. There must be setting of intel turbo boost or something of similar name which might be off causing cpu to lock on base speed and not reaching boost clock speed. Also first check temperature using CoreTemp freeware.